Betta And Water Change

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scunny

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
quik question guys, should i be removing my male betta from the tank when i do a water change? If so do i just fill a decent sized bowl with water from my tank, put him in, cover it up, do my water change, then put him back in.

Thanks guys.

Thanks alot, was just about to do a water change and it suddenly crossed my mind. Much Appreciated.

What I do since I have all planted bowls and tanks is put a piece of screen over the tube with a zip tie and then cut an X at the end so the bigger gunk can go up. I take out enough water so the fish has barely enough to swim in then gently poor the water over a plastic lid so it sprays out into the tank. I do this type of water change at least 4 times a week so it amounts up to about 3 full water changes in any of my bettas. Once a month or so I do take out the fish and clean the bowl completely, then I don't use just plan tap water I use water that I have water conditioner in. I don't want to kill all the good bacteria. My fish don't like to be caught even with a cup, I don't use a net on my fish if I can at all help it.

thanks alot. Just did a 25% water change and removed samson (my betta) and put him in a large bowl with water from my tank in. He didn't seem to mind at all. Thanks for all your advice :)

When we do my girlfriend's betta, we just leave him in. She hasn't gotten used to doing it, so...I'm always on the stick to help her do his change. With any of my tanks...I just leave the fish in, and let them move around. If the water gets a bit low and I'm not done...I just add more water and keep going. :)

Samson just looks like my Galan! Great betta :hyper:

If you do partial water changes, there is no need to take him out. I siphon my tanks all the time, and have never had a problem with it, not with much smaller fishes.....

If you do prefer to take him out, you do it the way you did

I keep mine in the tank when I do a water change. They're used to it now and pretty much stay out of the way.

I keep mine in the tank when I do a water change. They're used to it now and pretty much stay out of the way.

fair few years ago now had a big mishap with one of my bettas my head was turned for a second and he got sucked up the psyphon! it was a disaster! because he got stuck in the flap bit.

tore open the thing got him out he lived for a year after that incident! he still swam towards it when it was put in the tank! i guess they cant help being curious

Poor little thing! They can be curious but I think mine have just got used to it now. They did used to come and have a nosey around to see what was going on but not anymore. I think they leave me in peace so I can get on with it and leave them in peace!

thanks for all the replies people. Think i might leave him in in future. Hopefully he'll get bored of swimming around the siphon soon :p

When I first got my bettas I would take them out to do water changes.
But when I saw that trying to net them was really stressing them out, I just decided to leave them in their tank for water changes.
They used to be jittery about water changes, but now they've gotten used to it and just don't care about them anymore :p The only time they freak out a little is if they get cause in the current by the water being poured back in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back