Betta and shrimps

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, is a betta compatible with shrimps ? It would be nice to have one but not at the sake of the shrimps.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
How long has the tan been set up for?
Is there a filter on the tank?
Are there any plants in the tank?

It also depends on the betta.
I put some cherry shrimps in the tank with an elderly betta which didn't seem to notice them, either adults or babies. The shrimp population expanded. After he died, I put another betta in the tank which ate the babies but ignored the adults; the shrimp population remained constant. The next betta (my current one) attacked and killed the adult shrimp. I had to rescue the ones he hadn't caught yet.

If you do put shrimps and a betta together, have a back up plan to remove either the betta or the shrimps.

Hi, is a betta compatible with shrimps ? It would be nice to have one but not at the sake of the shrimps.
It all depends on the temperament of the betta.

For example: My Dumbo ear/Super delta tale betta didn't have a problem with shrimp. He was a pretty chill betta. My crowntail however, was very aggressive. You can test this by holding up a mirror to the bettas cup or tank at your LFS. If they flare their gills at the mirror, best chance is they will be aggressive towards shrimp.

In my experience, any kind of dumbo ear betta is going to be less aggressive towards other fish. But then again, always test it first.

Bit of a dilemma then. I'll get bloody Mary's at least, but wanted a nice fish as a focal point . Now contains 20 nerites( to grow ) and 4 small bronze cory. Tank is planted with internal power filter full of sponges sat on a mesh bag of mature ceramic rings. It's been an ongoing tank for 2 + months and no issues at all. Tank is 80x30x30 so around 70ltrs. No alternative plan available if I go with this idea. Thanks for replies.

Bit of a dilemma then. I'll get bloody Mary's at least, but wanted a nice fish as a focal point . Now contains 20 nerites( to grow ) and 4 small bronze cory. Tank is planted with internal power filter full of sponges sat on a mesh bag of mature ceramic rings. It's been an ongoing tank for 2 + months and no issues at all. Tank is 80x30x30 so around 70ltrs. No alternative plan available if I go with this idea. Thanks for replies.
Bronze corys need to be in larger groups. 6 or more. I suggest getting 4 more and see where you are then.

The betta might not even get along with the Cory's or the snails. You will have to see first.

Thanks, I'm not going to risk it then, it will be a peaceful tank and yes I'll get more cory when or if lfs opens after the lockdown.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back