Betta And Ottos.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ChancesMama

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Since everyone here is so nice and informative, I've decided to ask you another question. I have quite a fair amount of fish knowledge under mt belt and let me stress that I am in no way saying that this needs to happen. My beta is comfortable and I will be getting her a bigger tank or possibly making one if I can't find what I want.
                  I was just wondering if anyone knew what the smallest tank is that a Betta and an Ottos can live in together? I was going to buy a 3 gallon tank for my Beta, Chance, and thought of adding one of my Ottos in. But I want to check with everyone here as I don't want the Otto to be uncomfortable in too small of a tank. Thank you for your help!

Otto's need groups of 6+ and they need heavily Algae Filled tanks unless you have them weaned onto Algae Wafers and stuff like that. So a 5-10 Gallon is what I would consider minimum.

Paradise3 said:
Otto's need groups of 6+ and they need heavily Algae Filled tanks unless you have them weaned onto Algae Wafers and stuff like that. So a 5-10 Gallon is what I would consider minimum.
OKay, that's what I had thought too. I was asking anyway because I've heard of people having just two ottos for a 55 gal and similar.
would there be any other way for me to get algae out of her tank IF it becomes a problem? (I have a 28 gallon bow front with 6 Otto cats and 4 Fancy guppies)

40+ Otos wouldn't be enough to clear a 55 gallon tank of algae (they just don't eat that much of the stuff)
reduce lighting would be the easiest answer to most algae issues
smile.png

Most reactions

Back