Betta And Friends In A 10 Gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

micaela

Reaction score
Hi all, 

I'm new to this and not sure if I'm putting this in the right place... However, I have a ten gallon cycled and ready for fish. I'm hoping to get some on Monday. It's a ten gallon tank with a heater, a decent filter, one barrel decorations and a 2 plastic plants, one that is quite large and a much smaller one (I can add more if I need). I was researching what type of fish to put in my tank and I really like the idea of one betta with some harlequin rasboras. Has any one tried this and had success? What do you all recommend? I searched on AqAdvisor and it said with 7 of the harlequin rasboras and one male betta I would be at 78% and I'm pretty sure under 80% would be best. If this is an awful idea, feel free to give me some ideas that you think would be better suited for my tank. Also, I am a broke college student who can only have a small tank in my dorm room, so updating to a bigger tank is unfortunately impossible for the time being! :( 

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum
smile.png

First of all, how have you cycled your tank?

We need to know whether your tap water is hard or soft before we can advise you on fish species. If you don't know, you can look on your supplier's website and it'll tell you (somewhere!).

One thing I will say is that having a betta with other fish is a bit of a gamble. Some bettas are fine with tankmates, others won't tolerate any other fish in 'their' tank at all.

^ Important advice above.

I've been researching Bettas myself lately since I hope to acquire one in a while. Plastic plants might not be suitable for a Betta. You can run a piece of stocking over them and check if it snags; if it does, fish fins can get ruined by them too.

Hi! Each betta has a different personality. Some can have tank mates, others can not. You could try a few and see how he acts, but be prepared to remove them immediately and return to the store if he doesn't approve. If he shows signs of flaring and being stressed, get them out. I second the plant comment above. Most plastic plants do not work for a betta. Fake silk plants or live ones are better options. The plastic leaves are usually too sharp and can shred their fins.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back