Betta and Cichlid

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Zoeeannee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is no, however I am interested to know if anyone has ever had an "anomaly" situation (although I think it is very unlikely).

I have a 400L freshwater tropical plated tank which for the last 1-1.5 years I have had adult angelfish, diamond tetras and corys along with 1 female betta who has is very confident with an "I don't care, come near me and I will fight you" mentality**.

I have just introduced juvenile SA cichlids - 1x keyhole, 1x acara, 1x t-bar, 1x ellioti, 1x firemouth, 1x rainbow - and although she is currently holding her own, as the cichlids are a max of 1 inch in length right now, I am working on the basis that she will not be able to live in this tank long term as the cichlids grow.

I do have another tank that she can live in but I am just wondering if anyone else has ever had this situation where a female betta (given they have smaller fins than males) has lived with cichlids. If it does work I can keep her in this bigger tank and not have to move her to the alternative which is a 40L tank which I'd rather not do.

**I call her "big mumma" because I previously tried to house her in a female betta sorority and she killed 5 others in a day when I was at work. She is definitely not a male before anyone suggests this but her body size (not fins) is bigger than the 20+ bettas I have previously/currently own(ed). She is just a VERY confident and strong female betta.

Edited for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe in a really big tank with lots of plants, including floating plants like Water Sprite, you might get away with it. There's less of an issue due to the fish being short finned and not long flowing fins of fancy males.

My concern would be the angelfish if the firemouth or rainbow acara decide to do something.

On a side note, we try to use fuplie as our F word. The mods will probably black out part of your text :)

That fuplie sucks 😂... I would say if she has an attitude of that I would honestly just give her, her own 10 gallon and dont let a soul near her.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back