Betta and Cherry Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ukdamon

Reaction score
Does anyone keep a Betta with their shrimp? How do they get on? Does the Betta eat all the young?

It's pretty common that most bettas will view shrimps as tasty snacks.

Its a fairly rare thing really that bettas will happily cohabit with shrimps, but if the shrimps are large adults then they have a bit of a chance of survival with a betta.

I have heard some folks succssfully keeping shrimps with bettas, but it's a hit or miss thing really.

You could try just a few cherry shrimps with the betta at first and see if they survive after a certain amount of time, but generally I'd recommend just having a betta on its own with perhaps snails if you want extra life variety in the tank.

My last betta did not seem to notice anything in his tank, it took him ages to find his food. I have cherry shrimps in my main tank so I added a female and two males to the betta's tank to see what he would do. He didn't notice them. The shrimps bred and I had to rescue baby shrimps from the old water at every water change - they went into the main tank as I didn't want the shrimps to take over the small tank.
My current betta does notice the shrimps, he chased them at first but couldn't catch them. I think there are now 9 adult shrimps in the tank with him, it's hard to count them. I see berried females regularly but since I've had this betta I have never sucked up a baby shrimp. I think this betta can catch the baby shrimps and eat them, but he no longer bothers chasing the adult shrimp.
However, several years ago I managed to get a woodlouse into the betta's tank, and the betta I had then became frantic. He chased it all over the tank attacking it when he could. I had to catch the woodlouse and remove it. A shrimp would have stood no chance with that betta.

The point of all this is - it depends on the betta.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back