FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

JackieP

Reaction score
I took a video but it wonā€™t let me upload it. Well basically my betta will just sit there like this randomly and take like big breaths in and out. Like not fast but just big. She did this for two minutes straight until she started swimming again. I donā€™t have any ammonia or nitrites just a little nitrates. I just did a partial water change. Also sheā€™ll randomly like swim around the tank really fast blowing bubbles everywhere and then just stop and float there like this. I have a filter and itā€™s making bubbles so I donā€™t think my oxygen is low. Thatā€™s the only thing I could think it is unless sheā€™s just resting. Sometimes she acts fine and sometimes and spazzes out. I turned the filter up a little in case it was an oxygen problem. Let me know thank you.
Ps Iā€™m not trying to be a Helicopter fish mom lol this is my first time owning one and I wanna do it right

Attachments

• 464370B4-31D6-4C66-B3D3-0DE82D1B65E2.png
    464370B4-31D6-4C66-B3D3-0DE82D1B65E2.png
    465.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 61DA9F9C-EF84-432C-92E4-7723C82AE0C7.png
    61DA9F9C-EF84-432C-92E4-7723C82AE0C7.png
    514.2 KB · Views: 231
  • A93FE3DA-043A-430B-8BCC-4CBB71B877D5.png
    A93FE3DA-043A-430B-8BCC-4CBB71B877D5.png
    517.4 KB · Views: 213
Can you try to get some side shots? I canā€™t see anything wrong from the front. Is it definitely a female?

I ask if it is a female because bettas usually blow bubbles for 2 reasons. 1.) A male making a bubble nest for breeding (rare occasion a female will do this). 2.). As you mentioned, if the oxygen is too low they will blow bubbles. What is your temp in the tank? Warm water does decrease oxygen in water. Do you see her go up for air? All of my bettas are in low current Tanks at 80F.

Can you try to get some side shots? I canā€™t see anything wrong from the front. Is it definitely a female?
Well the pet store that I got her from she said she was a female so I think so. She really doesnā€™t look sick to me she just keeps acting strange. Iā€™ll attach a side picture let me know what you think

Attachments

• EA8C6D58-4247-492C-B411-F1D3B43A367D.png
    EA8C6D58-4247-492C-B411-F1D3B43A367D.png
    456.9 KB · Views: 221
I ask if it is a female because bettas usually blow bubbles for 2 reasons. 1.) A male making a bubble nest for breeding (rare occasion a female will do this). 2.). As you mentioned, if the oxygen is too low they will blow bubbles. What is your temp in the tank? Warm water does decrease oxygen in water. Do you see her go up for air? All of my bettas are in low current Tanks at 80F.
My temperature is 79 right now. Itā€™s always in the 77-80 range

She looks like a beautiful, healthy female. Sheā€™s just having fun. :)
Okay thank you for answering! When sheā€™s not moving and floating in the tank do you think she might just be resting? Or when sheā€™s breathing heavy? Sorry for asking so many questions

Okay thank you for answering! When sheā€™s not moving and floating in the tank do you think she might just be resting? Or when sheā€™s breathing heavy? Sorry for asking so many questions
Could be, I don't know a ton about betta but look at those fins. They provide so much drag, and she is a dumbo so she has those big "ear" fins, makes it very hard to swim. Imagine jumping into a pool with XXXL sweatpants and trying to swim all day long. Someone will tell you for sure though.

I have one that has learned to have his dinner delivered to him. He sits on a sponge filter a good part of the day but does patrol around the tank several times throughout the day. If I drop his food in the tank, he just lets it float away. I have to drop it in the corner by the filter. He then swims over to his spot and begins grabbing at it. Spoiled brat!

I have one that has learned to have his dinner delivered to him. He sits on a sponge filter a good part of the day but does patrol around the tank several times throughout the day. If I drop his food in the tank, he just lets it float away. I have to drop it in the corner by the filter. He then swims over to his spot and begins grabbing at it. Spoiled brat!
The things we do, the things we do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back