Best way to vacuum dirt substrate with live plants?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry, I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately. Just doing a few things with this new tank that I simply don't have a ton of experience with.

My old tanks were all gravel, under gravel filter systems back in the day. Those were pretty easy. pull out the Deco, clean them, vacuum with a siphon, replace deco, and call it a day.

Do I need to vacuum as much with live plants? I assume the root system breaks down some of that waste. once every couple weeks?

And for that matter, can anyone recommend a good vacuum for a 150 gallon tank with dirt substrate? It doesn't really look like the technology has changed much in 20 years. :)

25 Foot - Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System​

Was looking at this guy.

All the help and advice has been appriciated!

Sorry, I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately. Just doing a few things with this new tank that I simply don't have a ton of experience with.

My old tanks were all gravel, under gravel filter systems back in the day. Those were pretty easy. pull out the Deco, clean them, vacuum with a siphon, replace deco, and call it a day.

Do I need to vacuum as much with live plants? I assume the root system breaks down some of that waste. once every couple weeks?

And for that matter, can anyone recommend a good vacuum for a 150 gallon tank with dirt substrate? It doesn't really look like the technology has changed much in 20 years. :)

Was looking at this guy.

Aye man! I wanted to help you out because I noticed no one had replied. Here is what I do-

I have small and smooth gravel substrate and tons of live plants. I, personally, take out ALL the things in my tank. Deco and plants.

I then run the vacuum all along the bottom, stopping it every now and then to pick up stuff in the corners and stuff. I usually end up doing a 50-75% water change twice a month. (I sometimes do more depending on what comes up in the water test once a week).

I have livebearers just for clarification!

Was looking at this guy.

I think ypu shouldnt, the waste is good for plants and replenishes the humus in the dirt

Aye man! I wanted to help you out because I noticed no one had replied. Here is what I do-

I have small and smooth gravel substrate and tons of live plants. I, personally, take out ALL the things in my tank. Deco and plants.

I then run the vacuum all along the bottom, stopping it every now and then to pick up stuff in the corners and stuff. I usually end up doing a 50-75% water change twice a month. (I sometimes do more depending on what comes up in the water test once a week).

I have livebearers just for clarification!
as long as you have lots of live plants, your tank should be fine and there is no need to vaccum debris, yes you can vaccum and test, but live plants generally do better isf there is more humus

yes but the waste can also create bad water quality. best to test your water and watch fish behavior closely!

In my case I am already using an auto water change system, and changing 5 gallons a day, so i swap out 35 gallons of water every week. pretty close to 100% water change every month already as it is without having to lift a finger. I could up it to as much as 30 a day if I needed to.

In my case I am already using an auto water change system, and changing 5 gallons a day, so i swap out 35 gallons of water every week. pretty close to 100% water change every month already as it is without having to lift a finger. I could up it to as much as 30 a day if I needed to.
100% water change per month is just fine. Carry on and enjoy.

yes you dont HAVE to but it does look better... also you will almost neever run out of dirt lol. if you take out trash every day then there will be no left and plants will grow slowly

yes you dont HAVE to but it does look better... also you will almost neever run out of dirt lol. if you take out trash every day then there will be no left and plants will grow slowly

True. I hadnt thought about that aspect. The new water has some of those nutrients, but I probably am siphoning a lot off just through the water change. All the water goes into / out of my sump.

True. I hadnt thought about that aspect. The new water has some of those nutrients, but I probably am siphoning a lot off just through the water change. All the water goes into / out of my sump.
its ok since u have a huge tank, but just do it in the middle or top of the water so the fish can have fresh water, the nutrients also can have some bad stuff in it so i think it is right to change water.

its ok since u have a huge tank, but just do it in the middle or top of the water so the fish can have fresh water, the nutrients also can have some bad stuff in it so i think it is right to change water.

Well, all the water gets taken out of the sump., the out take hose is right near the pump that pulls the water through / out of my sump.

The water add/in take hose just hangs over the top of the same sump chamber that the out take hose is in. This way I don't have **** hanging all over my tank.

I do also use a micro-doser to add water conditioner and some plant food once a day on a schedule. ( no plant food on Sundays )

Don't gravel vac. Plant more live plants. Is easy schtuff. The waste will feed the plants. The plants will oxygenate the water. The fish will be happy.

If you have a dirt substrate (so, soil?), then vacuuming it would be counterproductive IMO.
I have sand substrate and never touch it. Also depends on what cleanup crew you have. I have 20+ corydoras, shrimp and Malaysian Trumpet Snails that all work to breakdown detritus into mulm and turn it over into the sand for which the plants can then feed on

If you have a dirt substrate (so, soil?), then vacuuming it would be counterproductive IMO.
I have sand substrate and never touch it. Also depends on what cleanup crew you have. I have 20+ corydoras, shrimp and Malaysian Trumpet Snails that all work to breakdown detritus into mulm and turn it over into the sand for which the plants can then feed on

Right now I just have 5 loaches and a pleco. The Pleco is more like a hoover vacuum cleaner though. There are a few ghost shrimps in there as well that the pet store accidently put in the bag when catching the loaches. I figured he would get eaten within a day, but somehow that little dude has managed to make it 3 weeks. Im impressed!

And I am not sure all the loaches are alive. I can never find more than 1-2 at a time. Im pretty sure my Rams ate a couple.

I plan to get some 3 stripe cory cats, but havent yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back