Best way to trap and get rid of snails im infested at this point!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Brodie33

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What are some ways to trap and get rid of snails I'm getting way over populated! Thanks in advance!
20220817_132656.jpg

I hate snails.

Don't do it with bio-controls. If you buy a snail eating fish, then you have it after the job is done, and it may not appreciate its life with you after that. It could be mutual.

Plus those look like the most hateful of pest snails, trumpets, and even snail eaters tend to avoid them. I know some people like them, but I'm not one of them.

You have to be overfeeding like crazy for that many. Really, all you can do now is stick your hand in, as gross as this is, and crush crush crush. Then siphon the remains, and crush crush crush. Repeat, repeat, then repeat while muttering bad things quietly.

You will never get them all, and they will continue to reproduce unless you stop encouraging/supporting their reproduction. You are clearly overfeeding the fish, and by an extraordinary amount it would seem.

These snails do have a positive benefit for the biological system, whether one likes them or not. They are reproducing because they have lots to eat...ironically this is a benefit. They break down the organic matter faster so the bacteria can more readily handle it. I've always been grateful for their presence. But I never fed so much that they became out of control.

Feed considerably less, do regular significant water changes including a good vacuum of the substrate, and keep the filter media very clean. These actions will at least eliminate much of their food. Beyond that is your call.

is that tank big enough for a snail eating loach? He would need a cave to be happy but he would grow really fast. The little black and white loaches don't get as large as clowns.

I would not recommend loaches here. For one thing, they are not all that effective with Malaysian Livebearing Snails because of the snail's "trap door." Second, they need a group, and cover (as in floating plants or overhanging vegetation, and lots of wood for caves (artificial or real), this tank is way too "open" for such fish, they will be stressed.

The answer to problem snails is the same as for problem algae...deal with the cause, don't ever add fish or chemicals.

Mentioning the fish species raises another issue, there are soft water fish and hard water fish pictured...someone is losing out.

I do a daily small water change with some 3/8 tubing and a short length of copper pipe at the end. In that tank of yours I'd be able to probably suck out 50-75 of them just with a four gallon change. That tank is shooting fish in a barrel so to speak. I've always had mixed thoughts about crushing them and just leaving the guts to rot in the tank.

I do a daily small water change with some 3/8 tubing and a short length of copper pipe at the end. In that tank of yours I'd be able to probably suck out 50-75 of them just with a four gallon change. That tank is shooting fish in a barrel so to speak. I've always had mixed thoughts about crushing them and just leaving the guts to rot in the tank.
I crush my excess snails - the Amano shrimp deal with the corpses.

I don't ask how. The less I know the better. All I know is that they have built a lot of tiny patios and seem to go through a lot of plastic sheeting and duct tape . . . the snails "sleep with the fishes" . . .

Seriously - they and the betta deal with with them. I even found the sucked clean shell of a Zebra Nerite when I did a water change one time, and I've always understood that a dead Nerite causes an ammonia spike so severe that it kills everything in the tank. I didn't lose single fish - didn't even know that Terry the Snail had kicked the bucket until I found his (rather beautiful and shiny) clean and empty shell.

Last edited:
I don't think I have any snails anymore. I had a few when I started the 55 up, from the gravel that had been outdoors in all temps for 2 years, I got a few snails. I put my daughter's loach in, he unfortunately ate my baby albino BN's, but he also ate all the snails. Then I sent him home to daughter

What are some ways to trap and get rid of snails I'm getting way over populated! Thanks in advance!
View attachment 165009
Jeeeeeeeeeeez.... That is A TON of snails... Most I've seen in a tank ever.
If you don't have any shrimp in the tank or snails that you WANT. Get a copper based aquarium additive and use it. It will kill off all the snails. Just be sure to keep up with large water changes to avoid an ammonia spike or any other issues

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back