Best way to get rid of snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've had success with multiple ways over the years. You can place some washed lettuce in the tank and collect them manually when they go to feed. There are assassin snails that will hunt them down and normally do quite a good job at keeping the population at least under control. There are also multiple fish that love to eat snails, particularly loaches. Clown loaches like eating snails but they do grow quite large, zebra loaches are a smaller option to also consider. I wouldn't consider either option to be particularly quick, it does require plenty of patience.

There are chemical products out there too, but I'm never one to recommend that route until all else has failed.

I've had success with multiple ways over the years. You can place some washed lettuce in the tank and collect them manually when they go to feed. There are assassin snails that will hunt them down and normally do quite a good job at keeping the population at least under control. There are also multiple fish that love to eat snails, particularly loaches. Clown loaches like eating snails but they do grow quite large, zebra loaches are a smaller option to also consider. I wouldn't consider either option to be particularly quick, it does require plenty of patience.

There are chemical products out there too, but I'm never one to recommend that route until all else has failed.
Thanks!

I defiantly wouldn't get any fish to eat the snails, that usually causes more problems than it fixes.

The lettuce method mentioned by @Cydeth worked quite well for me.

the lettuce trick is best after lights out, more snails will show up then

I used to swash them on the glass and let the fish eat them, but apparently that's bad now :confused::fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back