Best Walmart Brands for Aquarium lights?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Angeltold

Reaction score
Hi 👋 My water has ammonia in it so Im on my way to pick up some plants and a light.
i found an affordable hevirgo brand at walmart. I dont have alot of money to get a fancy light, and I need it now; so I cant order one to be shipped instead.
If Im going to buy plants right now, then i need a light to keep them alive.
If its not a good brand, can i use it temporarily?
And whats a good brand to replace it with?
How many hours of light do plants need each day?

Thanks! ~Skippy

I'm not familiar with the hevirgo brand. You could get a grow-light fixture from your local hardware store, or a gooseneck desk lamp with a 6000-7000K lightbulb. Either of those will grow plants.

Are you doing a fishless cycle or do you have fish in the tank? Save your money if you are talking about these lights. They are great for effects but not growing plants.
Please let us know if you have fish in your tank and the size of your tank. What is the ammonia reading?

Hi 👋 My water has ammonia in it so Im on my way to pick up some plants and a light.
i found an affordable hevirgo brand at walmart. I dont have alot of money to get a fancy light, and I need it now; so I cant order one to be shipped instead.
If Im going to buy plants right now, then i need a light to keep them alive.
If its not a good brand, can i use it temporarily?
And whats a good brand to replace it with?
How many hours of light do plants need each day?

Thanks! ~Skippy
Hello for plants I would suggest floating plants they suck up a lot of “bad things” fast and are effective most don’t need high lighting like water spagles

Are you doing a fishless cycle or do you have fish in the tank? Save your money if you are talking about these lights. They are great for effects but not growing plants.
Please let us know if you have fish in your tank and the size of your tank. What is the ammonia reading?
I ended up getting a replacement marine light for my 20 gallon. Yes i have fish and i didn’t quarantine them before adding them. Thats when i had a bacteria bloom. I didn't learn about cycling until after. Or how it worked until now. I bought a java fern and an amazon plant, but i have to quarantine them now. Says low lighting but the guy at the pet store encouraged me to buy a light, so i did.
The ammonia is about .49 and i tested the tap water and it has .4 in ammonia.

Do you mean the replacement light is for marine tanks? If you, can you return it as the K rating will be too high for plants.

If it has a four or five digit number followed by a K on the light or packaging, can you tell us that number, please.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back