Best tropical feeders?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello!
I wanted some opinions on what the best tropical fish food short-term feeders are. Example: When you go on vacation and don't trust anyone else/no one else can feed your fish, what do you use? My mom picked up some generic fish food blocks from PetSmart, but I am wary to use them, since they reek of poor quality. Thanks!

You are correct. The quality of the food itself is not really the issue though, it is the risk that these can foul the water very quickly. But the real issue is that fish (except for fry) do not need to be fed every day if they are healthy to begin with; they can easily go one week, even two, without food. And, if they are not fed, they will not be adding that waste to the water, polluting it much faster.

The best fish-feeders are human hands (adult ones).

As mentioned above, fish can go days w/out eating, fish in the wild don't necessarily eat every day.

My fish sometimes go 3 days between feedings.

Thank you!
I would still like a backup plan just incase something comes up. Does anyone use any feeders that they like?
(I won't use it all the time, but as an "in case of emergency" backup plan :D)

The best fish-feeders are human hands (adult ones).
I dare say my son has a lighter touch when feeding than myself. He just puts in the amount I've taught him and leaves it at that. I have a tendency to watch and if I see somebody that didn't get anything I add more.

I've heard of them and the boss has one on the tank in his office, but I don't have experience myself to suggest. His is in the wall so I can't even see what it is.

I'm often away for up to a coupe of weeks at a time & use the little containers that are made for setting out daily medicine/pill doses, only costa few dollars & a useful size. Currently have one that's got 14 compartments, marked of with days of the week.
I then put into each pocket what food I want to have added each day for my wife to feed with, allows me to still give a bit of variety of dry foods. My wife likes it as she doesn't have to decide how much is enough (& can't get blamed for overfeeding).

Pill box.JPG

I can also set alternate/fewer feeding days to reduce fish waste, as a water change won't be done until I get back. Although not a completely airtight seal the food stays dry for the relatively short time needed.

If you really want to get one, you can consider Eheim Everyday Fish Feeder(see the links below).

But do take note of the common problems with the auto feeder.
The main problem/difficulty is in ensuring that it dispense the right amount of food.
Some auto feeder has a very big opening for the dispenser and it can accidentally dispense too much food.
And sometimes there is no food coming out from the dispenser if you open too little or if you don't adjust the opening properly.

You have to test the auto feeder outside the tank first before you hook it to your tank just in case too much food is dispense from the auto feeder.

Firstly, put a piece of old newspaper on the floor or table to collect the food that will be coming out from the auto feeder before you perform the test.
Then, by holding the auto feeder with your hands over the piece of newspaper, press the start button for the auto feeder to dispense the food.
Keep adjusting the dispenser's opening until it dispense the right amount of food.
You have to try it a few times until you are confidence that it dispense the right amount of food.

I hope you can understand my explanations.

Anyway, take a look at the websites below:

I use auto feeders when I go on extended vacations or go on startups for work, ie longer than a week, the no feed method works ok for short absences. I use the Eheim auto feeders that are relatively easy to setup and use. I try to target feeding them only 50% of what I normally feed because not only am I not around to feed I am not around to change the water either. My fish do not like any pellets that I can find so I feed them flakes, flakes have to be crushed to get consistent distribution with the feeder.

To calibrate the feeders I take what a normally feed the fish and place it in a bowl. I then place a feeder next to a similar bowl and trigger the feeder. Compare about three rotations of the feeder before opening or closing the gate to correct the amount, and trying again. After that I label the feeder for the tank I have calibrated it for.

I got the feeders after I found one of my smaller German Blue Rams bones picked clean in the corner of the tank after I got back from a vacation. I don't know for sure what killed the fish, my son didn't even notice the fish missing, but they all appeared healthy and happy before I left.

I have had my tanks turn into eutrophic bogs due to feedings by friends and family so I don't try to get them to feed my fish anymore. I like @Lecturemode suggestion if you are going that route. Now, the day before I go, I clean the tank, do a heavy water change, 60%, and setup the feeders.

There is always a risk of leaving. And with feeders there is still an upper limit to how long you can leave. I haven't done more than 28 days, but even in that time water quality can deteriorate pretty quickly. Live plants help the water quality if you are going to leave for any extended time. I get my son to come in an check the tanks every few days but really what is he going to do if something starts going out of kilter, or a fish is sick.

Thank you all so much for your tips! I will definitely look into either an auto feeder or pre-set portions for someone to feed them. :fish:

One thing I forgot to mention, and sort of why I went to the "pill box" way, is that when I used an automatic feeder (several years ago I admit) the humidity/damp got into the chute/slot the food came out & the food ended up clumping & not coming out properly. I know the newer ones are better designed & should stop this & some even mention it specifically, so if you do go that way check it'll not be an issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back