Best tank mates for Millenium Rainbows?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TacomaToker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 45 gallon hard water tank with 7 guppies and 3 millenium rainbows. Going to add 3 more milleniums, what else could I add? Thanks :)

How about some forktail rainbows? (My dream fish, if only I had hard water)

How about some forktail rainbows?
Not with millennium rainbows (Glossolepis pseudoincisus) because they get too big and will bully the blue-eyes. The guppies might get picked on too when the rainbows are full size.

Any similar sized rainbowfish would be fine if there's sufficient space (I don't know how big a 45 gallon tank is).

The following link has information on rainbowfish. You can click the contents on the top right to view individual species, or click the mediafire link at the bottom to download the book to your hard-drive and view it there. When you click the download button, a window might pop-up. Ignore this and close it, then there should be some buttons at the bottom of the page to save the file to your computer.

Not with millennium rainbows (Glossolepis pseudoincisus) because they get too big and will bully the blue-eyes. The guppies might get picked on too when the rainbows are full size.

Any similar sized rainbowfish would be fine if there's sufficient space (I don't know how big a 45 gallon tank is).

The following link has information on rainbowfish. You can click the contents on the top right to view individual species, or click the mediafire link at the bottom to download the book to your hard-drive and view it there. When you click the download button, a window might pop-up. Ignore this and close it, then there should be some buttons at the bottom of the page to save the file to your computer.

The 45 gallon is 3 feet long. It was either this tank, or giving away my 3 rainbows. Under your guidance, I went ahead and upgraded to the 3 foot tank instead of getting rid of them. So far, they are loving the new space and I was able to get 3 more rainbows to complete the shoal. But now there are only 6 red rainbows and 7 guppies, so wondering what else I can add. There isn’t any aggression between the rainbows, and the original 3 are quite large (nearly 3 inches). The water in the tank is hard (also per your guidance), roughly 200ppm, so looking for fish who thrive in hard water.

Rainbows, rainbows, and more rainbows. That's all I had in most of my tanks, different species of rainbowfish. I had some Mogurnda mogurnda gudgeons but they will eat guppies.

Bigger barbs like filament barbs will be alright with rainbowfish but will probably eat the guppy's tails so not a good choice. The guppies are the problem now, get them out and you have more choices but with them, less choice.

Rainbows, rainbows, and more rainbows. That's all I had in most of my tanks, different species of rainbowfish. I had some Mogurnda mogurnda gudgeons but they will eat guppies.

Bigger barbs like filament barbs will be alright with rainbowfish but will probably eat the guppy's tails so not a good choice. The guppies are the problem now, get them out and you have more choices but with them, less choice.

If I get rid of the guppies, what are some tank mates for the red rainbows? They'd need to be hard water, and would be really cool if they were a color to contrast with the red.

If you want colour and contrast, get Melanotaenia lacustris and herbertaxelrodi. They are both rainbowfish and grow to the same size as the Glossolepis. The lacustris are dark blue and herbertaxelrodi are yellow with red fins.

You could add swordtails or mollies, mollies would be ok with the guppies. Just make sure the GH is around 250ppm for the mollies, and quarantine and deworm any livebearers before adding them to the tank. Or treat the tank with salt and dewormer when you have all the fish.

If you want colour and contrast, get Melanotaenia lacustris and herbertaxelrodi. They are both rainbowfish and grow to the same size as the Glossolepis. The lacustris are dark blue and herbertaxelrodi are yellow with red fins.

You could add swordtails or mollies, mollies would be ok with the guppies. Just make sure the GH is around 250ppm for the mollies, and quarantine and deworm any livebearers before adding them to the tank. Or treat the tank with salt and dewormer when you have all the fish.

Awesome, thank you!! Any suggestions for cool mollies or swordtails I can get? Maybe some of the bigger ones since this is a 45 gallon, 3 feet long.

Check out zebra loaches and panda garra, if you want some bottom action. Red laser rainbows and dwarf neons are smallish and really pretty too if you want some color variety.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back