Best Tank Mates For Frontosa

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

"some people..." dont be so snarky.

ever seen a newbie buy a bunch of fronts just to see them bloat up a week later after being told do do as much research/study on them as possible???

I have so I'll continue to be "aggressive" or "touchy" when it comes to frontosa tyvm.
It's not always as..simple as that.

Do you think I could do a school of yellow labs with a small group of fronts?I noticed that they both like the same ph and temp and have semi-aggresive nature. Or would the fronts eat them when they get bigger? I would add them all at the same time. Should I set the rocks up in a way that the adult fronts can fit into them or should I make smaller "caves" while all of the fish are small and then gradually make them bigger as the fish grow. I dont want to stress out the fish and destroy their established territories thats why I asked. I am going to be getting all the fish while they are under 3 inches.

Do you think I could do a school of yellow labs with a small group of fronts?I noticed that they both like the same ph and temp and have semi-aggresive nature. Or would the fronts eat them when they get bigger? I would add them all at the same time. Should I set the rocks up in a way that the adult fronts can fit into them or should I make smaller "caves" while all of the fish are small and then gradually make them bigger as the fish grow. I dont want to stress out the fish and destroy their established territories thats why I asked. I am going to be getting all the fish while they are under 3 inches.

Fronts and labs won't work together. First problem diet, fronts are carnivorous, while labs are herbivorous, while labs can handle a little more meat in their diet, too much can still give them bloat. Second, while the fronts are small, the labs will terrorize them (yes labs are considered peaceful, but only by mbuna standards), and when full grown, the fronts will most likely eat the labs. I'd stick to a species only tank, or you could add some catfish.

The fronts will need a 6ft tank once they reach adult size, remember, males can get up to a foot in length.

Here's a great place to read up on them.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/frontosa_corner.php

Labs are actually Omnivores or more precisely Insectivores in the wild. That said, they are still not ideal tankmates for Frontosa - large bottom-feeders tend to work well as do other robust carnivores. Many of the Malawi Haps can work with Fronts but i wouldn't reccommend Mbuna.

thank you for the advice. im gonna look up some more fish and look into getting more rock for the aquarium. if my ph is at 7.4 should I try and mess with it?

Fronts don't need any special treatment IMO. The key thing is to remember is their adult size, treat them like you would an Oscar - they grow fast and get huge but are tough fish. Simple as that.
Uhh they don't grow fast they grow stupid slow 2 years you might get 6in

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back