Best Tank Mates For Frontosa

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jackel931

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to cichlids and I really like the frontosa. I was wondering what the most compatible tank mates for this species would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If your new to cichlids, I can not advise going with Frontosas to experiment with!!!!
Frankly if anyone advises you to start with them when you have never kept African cichlids their doing a real disservice to the hobby and you.

what is it you like about Fronts? maybe we can work around and find something you'd like and would be easier on the fish and you!

If you absolutely want/need Frontosas in you tank, I recommend you do a lot of reading first in their care. I'm not sure if this is true everywhere else, but at least in my area (So Cal), the common Fronts sold at LFS are Burundi.

To answer your question, Frontosas are carnivores generally requiring a high protein diet. Also keep in mind that the male Fronts can grow out to be 12" and the females to about 10". So make sure you choose a fish that could keep up with its growth so they don't end up making meals out of them. Besides diet, water parameters, growth rate, and aggression I think the best you can do is research, research, research before you make your decision.

In my experiences, I've been successful with White Calvus, Petricola, and even N. Brichardi as tank mates. The N. Brichardis were very aggressive during spawns that it forced my Fronts and the rest of my fish to one side. Eventually, in the end, I moved the tank mates and left the Fronts and Petricolas to themselves.

Hope this helps.

If your new to cichlids, I can not advise going with Frontosas to experiment with!!!!
Frankly if anyone advises you to start with them when you have never kept African cichlids their doing a real disservice to the hobby and you.

what is it you like about Fronts? maybe we can work around and find something you'd like and would be easier on the fish and you!

No one advised me to start with them. I like the way they look, the shape of their face and their colors. I never said I was new to fish keeping I said I am new to cichlid keeping. I know they need a higher ph and they need some salt in their water. What is so special about these fish that allows you to have no faith in me?

If its not true correct me but that is what the guy at the lfs said. Not to the degree of brackish water or marine, but he said that the lake that they come from has a traces of salt, and that they live the most comfortable in it. but please correct me if this is wrong. haha it would be easier if they didnt need salt

I never said or assumed you were new to fish keeping so read again. YOU said you were new to cichlids.
If you believe everything the lfs guy says, your in more trouble then you think, I mean, come on,..."and they need some salt in their water".

Please do several searches, check out a book from your local library, anything that will educate you about these fish. I'm not going to do the work for you.
I have faith...if you do this you'll keep Fronts nicely in optimum conditions and for the species, not just the shape of their face and colors...

i dont understand why you would assume I would not research fronts before buying them. Most aquarists research fish before buying them to give them the optimal living conditions. And the salt thing was hearsay and I stated it was hearsay. It just sounds like your questioning my ability to take care of fish. Im sorry for asking for advice in the african cichlid forums about african cichlids. and please dont respond with anymore rude messages. I did not come on this forum to be talked down too.

I think these guys are too "touchy" about frontosa. Like, they almost "worship"them and keep them in prime(That's different to optimum, or just work out) and are very aggresive towards any sign of seemingly "neglet" behavior. Fronts are strong. What's the big deal with them?

Return to the main topic:as for tankmates, fish that are big, slow and peaseful are best. Favorites include Malawian Crytocara morreii and Tanganikan Benthochromis tricoti, but acually are quite a number of fish that could work out, provided that all the specie's requirements complement each other.

But one thing is true....Fronts are big fish, and giving them the biggest tank you can afford is best. And as your own pet fish, you should keep good care of them....Which is of course what you will do.

I stand by your side...Some people are so picky about fronts....

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I have a 120standard 4ft by 2ft by 2ft. I dont get why people are being crazy when I asked a simple question. But seriously though thanks for the advice and thanks for sticking up for me :good: !!!

Just trying to prevent an "impulse" buy. I am guilty of that myself, at times. Currently, I'm new to keeping Duboisi, and it's been real hard to resist the temptation of keeping the tank an "all species" tank. I'm always itching to add a tankmate with them.

The Alto. Compressiceps could also work with the Fronts as well. Very similar to the Calvus. Hope everything goes well. Let us know what those Fronts end up with as neighbors. Post some pics if possible.

will do.. It will be a while before I get them. I just got my tank up and running two days ago and I need to get the tank cycled and all that jazz. It should be established within a month. I'm also not 100percent on getting the fronts. I may do a different cichlid tank or I may do a fahaka puffer. I'm going to keep researching different fish until the tanks cycled then Ill upload some pics once I make my choice.

I think these guys are too "touchy" about frontosa. Like, they almost "worship"them and keep them in prime(That's different to optimum, or just work out) and are very aggresive towards any sign of seemingly "neglet" behavior. Fronts are strong. What's the big deal with them?

Return to the main topic:as for tankmates, fish that are big, slow and peaseful are best. Favorites include Malawian Crytocara morreii and Tanganikan Benthochromis tricoti, but acually are quite a number of fish that could work out, provided that all the specie's requirements complement each other.

But one thing is true....Fronts are big fish, and giving them the biggest tank you can afford is best. And as your own pet fish, you should keep good care of them....Which is of course what you will do.

I stand by your side...Some people are so picky about fronts....

agree'd

i appreciate some forum members "erring on side of caution" but Frontosa do not need some kind of special treatment compared to other African Cichlids of similar size, its only because they cost more, that peeps assume they are only for the elite of fish keepers

yes I was quite confused myself where all this aggression came from. I thought my question to start this topic was relatively harmless. Some people...

Fronts don't need any special treatment IMO. The key thing is to remember is their adult size, treat them like you would an Oscar - they grow fast and get huge but are tough fish. Simple as that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back