Best Tank Mate's For Clown Loach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

blackops

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I need help finding good tank mate's for clown loach I have a juwel rio 400l tank and the only tank mate's are 7 clown loach so what are the best tank mate's for them and also what is the best food for clown loach because they don't seem to like the cat fish tablets I feed them thanks in advance

jack

I think the best tankmates for Clown Loaches are more Clown Loaches.

EDIT:  What is compatible?  Just about everything, it seems.  What is best?  ^^^ that.

From Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility Match:

Search Results: The Clown Loach should be kept in groups of pairs or more and is compatible with the Bala Shark, Bosemani Rainbow, Cherry Barb, Chinese Algae Eater, Corydoras Catfish, Croaking Gourami, Dwarf Gourami, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, Flying Fox, Giant Gourami, Glass Catfish, GloFish, Kissing Gourami, Kribensis, Kuhli Loach, Molly, Oscar Cichlid, Otto Catfish, Pearl Gourami, Penguin Tetra, Peppermint Pleco L030, Platy, Pleco (Common), Rainbow Shark, Red Tailed Shark, Rosy Barb, Siamese Algae Eater, Silver Dollar, Sparkling Gourami, Swordtail, Three Spot Gourami, Tiger Barb, Tinfoil Barb, Upsidedown Catfish, Zebra Danio

Feed them blood worm and some snails.

They should be ok with most community fish. They do school with tiger barbs.

I too have seven clown loaches in a 640 litre six foot tank. In with them I have:

5 corys
11 diamond tetras
8 black phantom tetras
15 kuhli loaches
a lonesome, mature Saimese Algae Eater
an equally lonely, and also very mature, Bristle Nosed Catfish
5 zebra loaches

So generally compatible with anything.

As far as I know the loaches have killed nothing

As Maehlice says, more Clown Loaches, but only if you have a monstrous fish tank.

nothing too aggressive. they do have sharp blades on the side of their heads and are ready to defend themselves.

So the red tailed shark and rainbow sharks are not suitable since they are very nasty

rubbish too about the chinese algae eater

Oscars really?

Maehlice said:
I think the best tankmates for Clown Loaches are more Clown Loaches.

EDIT:  What is compatible?  Just about everything, it seems.  What is best?  ^^^ that.

From Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility Match:

Search Results: The Clown Loach should be kept in groups of pairs or more and is compatible with the Bala Shark, Bosemani Rainbow, Cherry Barb, Chinese Algae Eater, Corydoras Catfish, Croaking Gourami, Dwarf Gourami, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, Flying Fox, Giant Gourami, Glass Catfish, GloFish, Kissing Gourami, Kribensis, Kuhli Loach, Molly, Oscar Cichlid, Otto Catfish, Pearl Gourami, Penguin Tetra, Peppermint Pleco L030, Platy, Pleco (Common), Rainbow Shark, Red Tailed Shark, Rosy Barb, Siamese Algae Eater, Silver Dollar, Sparkling Gourami, Swordtail, Three Spot Gourami, Tiger Barb, Tinfoil Barb, Upsidedown Catfish, Zebra Danio
a closer look at the spines 

clown_spine.jpg

blackops said:
I need help finding good tank mate's for clown loach I have a juwel rio 400l tank and the only tank mate's are 7 clown loach so what are the best tank mate's for them and also what is the best food for clown loach because they don't seem to like the cat fish tablets I feed them thanks in advance

jack
I dont think a 400 l is enought for them long term it may stund their growth and boy do they grow big about 2 feet each, having a small tank can stunt them, imagine having 7 2 foot long fish swimming in a 400 l

I am going to get a bigger tank when they out grow the one they are in .what would you guy's put with them
smile.png

Probably not going to get to more than twelve inches in captivity, sixteen at a push but unlikely. Two foot long? No chance. Typical lengths of Clown loaches are six to nine inches although they will fill out and change shape to be less streamlined and more rounded. They are a powerful fish though and accelerate rapidly and has been said, beware the suboccular spines; when I moved my loaches last year one of them caught me on the finger and drew blood and he was only four inches long.

ShinySideUp said:
Probably not going to get to more than twelve inches in captivity, sixteen at a push but unlikely. Two foot long? No chance. Typical lengths of Clown loaches are six to nine inches although they will fill out and change shape to be less streamlined and more rounded. They are a powerful fish though and accelerate rapidly and has been said, beware the suboccular spines; when I moved my loaches last year one of them caught me on the finger and drew blood and he was only four inches long.

I have seen 2 footers, I went to borneo 2 years ago on an educational trip.
well they do get fatter rather than longer most of the time

blackops said:
I am going to get a bigger tank when they out grow the one they are in .what would you guy's put with them
smile.png
peaceful fish only. nothing too threatening

blackops said:

general community fish like tetras, rainbows, rasboras, some lesser aggressive charachins like silver dollars,

I REALLYlove clown loach. My dream is to have a tank with some of those in it.
I envy you!

Cheers!

BTW, don't put silver dollar in with the clown loach, clown loach love plants, silver dollar destroy them, makes clown loach a very sad clown, and a sad clown is the saddest thing on the planet.

l_l_l said:
I REALLYlove clown loach. My dream is to have a tank with some of those in it.
I envy you!

Cheers!

BTW, don't put silver dollar in with the clown loach, clown loach love plants, silver dollar destroy them, makes clown loach a very sad clown, and a sad clown is the saddest thing on the planet.

depends really what type of tank you have :D
you can have java fern and anubias with silver dollars in my experience

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back