Best substrate for German Blue Rams?

click to vote now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
I don't mind species only unless I have too many tanks and can't walk thru the house. I have made a decision. I have a pair of old 10s in the shed, clean up em up, see if I have heaters, set them up, split these 3 pair up and sell off 2 pair. have to clean some sponges and get them culturing in other tanks
Based on your situation I think this may be the best move. Rams are very sensitive to poor water quality. If you neglect to do frequent water changes (I would recommend a minimum of 40% weekly in this size tank), they will get sick.

In my experience, a sick ram is a dead ram. I have keep many dozens (and bred them) and rarely do they recover unless it's something simple like fin rot.

OP
OP
Alice B

Alice B

Fish Addict
Reaction score
One male one female in their own 10. I'm out of heaters, ordering in the morning. I had ONE in the drawer and my heaters are due for replacement, I'm seeing moisture inside glass tubes on half of them despite pulling and silicone on the seam with the glass last summer. Also only had one cultured filter I could switch out and trust the tank. I'm not risking anything from my 55 or hex as I never figured out what was up with the red eye tetras... Means my BA tetras keep the 40 - it's clean and healthy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alice B

Alice B

Fish Addict
Reaction score
my order won't come on amazon, will be cheaper but I do have to buy 36. That's ok, I have to culture a filter, these are not cold start go thru cycle fish

OP
OP
Alice B

Alice B

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I finally got the heater for tank number 3 this afternoon, I have had several other things to do that involve survival and making a living, so instead of ordering 36 I did an inventory swap with a fish store.

One of the females in the 15 was gaspy, mouth moving very quickly, almost vibrating this morning, so I put her, and her mate in a net breeder before I went out the door, to protect her from the other female. Hubby dearest is under suspicion and she is deceased, he seemed aggressive toward her this evening as I was moving water to set their tank up.

I can sell him, maybe or add him to a community tank if I had one at the right temperature. For right now the pair in the other 10 seem good, I am not sure I grabbed the right male this morning, I will have to watch the behavior of the pair in the 15 and maybe switch males. I can live with 2 pair, I didn't really have the tank space for 3 pair. Would it reduce aggression between male and female rams if I put dither fish in? couple of small sacrificial guppies?

and what is the deal on how to correctly do species tanks with these @kribensis12 ? I can do 2 species tanks but correctly would be good. for now I'll be watching the male in the 15 to see if he is aggressive toward the female in with him.

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Would it reduce aggression between male and female rams if I put dither fish in?

No. Dither fish settle cichlids as to the safety of the space, but do nothing with respect to the interactive behaviours of the rams.

OP
OP
Alice B

Alice B

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure whether the pair in the 15 like each other, but they are not fighting, she is in a shelter and he is behind the filter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online