Best stocking ideas for 30L tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

tylapollyanna

Reaction score
Hi there.
I have a 30L tank which is currently home to Betta but once Iā€™ve sorted out my 56L tank he will have a new home.
Iā€™d love to make the 30L tank home to new fish but I donā€™t know what fish will go in that size tank.
Pet stores tell me almost any fish can go in a 30L (I know thatā€™s not true).
Any suggestions (not a Betta please). Iā€™d love a school of fish if that is possible.

With hard water, the only fish I would keep in 30 litres (8 gallons) is endlers. Males only as females are bigger and will have a lot of fry.

If you kept the betta in the 30 litre, there would be more options in the 56 litre - it seems a shame to have a 56 litre tank with just one fish, as bettas don't want tank mates.

I was about to recommend a pea puffer... ?

With hard water, the only fish I would keep in 30 litres (8 gallons) is endlers. Males only as females are bigger and will have a lot of fry.

If you kept the betta in the 30 litre, there would be more options in the 56 litre - it seems a shame to have a 56 litre tank with just one fish, as bettas don't want tank mates.
I was looking at endlers actually! How many could I have?
and yeah I know everyone is saying that to me but I really like it with my Betta. Iā€™m kinda obsessed with him and isnā€™t the bigger the tank the better for him? Heā€™s also getting rather big. He has shrimps and snails as friends. But I do see what you mean!

What if I decided to get RO water and make the water softer? I plan to do that for my Betta. What options do I have then?

If the water was soft it would open up more options, depending in the dimensions of the 30 litre tank. If it's cube like my 23 litre it won't have much swimming length, but if it's rectangular there are fish that would be suitable.

Can I suggest you measure the tank, then read these profiles. They'll tell you if the tank is long enough, and how soft you need to make the water. Not all together though, just one!

Ember tetras don't look like much in shop tanks as their colour is washed out, but they deepen to a dark orange once they settle in your tank.

There are several species in the genus Boraras, some of them are easier to find than others. They need to be in a big shoal to be happy.

If the tank was 40 litres, I would suggest one of the three dwarf cories, but these need to be in a group of at least 10 so I don't think 30 litres is big enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back