Best Species for 3 Gallon with Live Plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

bwaldo24

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Iā€™m new to the forums, but Iā€™ve personally kept fish for the past 12 years (Iā€™m 17).
Yesterday I restarted my rank with new fish as my tetras just kept dying to the filter. Water was warm enough, filter clean, feeding them twice a day, and no predatory fish.
In the end, my two zebra danios and grey Cory catfish were there.
I have a smaller 3 gallon tank I want to get setup. Itā€™s basically a bowl, will not have a filter or heater. So Iā€™m looking for good fish to put into it. Side note: I currently have one live plant (No Idea what kind) and will be buying a second soon.
Any help would be great.
Thanks!

Unheated and unfiltered, i wouldnt do any fish.

Instead, try out shrimp :)

3 gallons is too small for any fish except perhaps a betta - but a betta would need a filter and heater.

Shrimps could be OK but many do need a heater. Or possibly a snail?

I would at least put an air stone so the water gets oxygen. Snails and possibly shrimp (depending on your room temp) are your only option

3 gallons is too small for any fish except perhaps a betta - but a betta would need a filter and heater.

Shrimps could be OK but many do need a heater. Or possibly a snail?
So a guppy or goldfish wouldnā€™t be practical?

I wouldn't keep a Betta in anything less than a 5gal. Imo, it's just to little space for them. You could easily keep shrimp, who would very much appreciate a planted tank. Although, I'm not sure of which species can be kept unheated.

So a guppy or goldfish wouldnā€™t be practical?
A goldfish ABSOLUTELY NOT. Guppies are also too big. Whether you could keep Endler's Guppies in a tank that small, I don't really know, but I would imagine not.

A goldfish ABSOLUTELY NOT. Guppies are also too big. Whether you could keep Endler's Guppies in a tank that small, I don't really know, but I would imagine not.
Yes I know Goldfish can grow to the size of a football...
I just donā€™t want a plain tank...
Shrimp are okay I guess. Snails... are just rocks basically...

Yes I know Goldfish can grow to the size of a football...
I just donā€™t want a plain tank...
Shrimp are okay I guess. Snails... are just rocks basically...
Mystery snails are quite active and I think they are very cool looking, majestic even :)

So no nano fish?
Nothing at all?
Iā€™m not throwing snails in... thatā€™s plain boring...
Thanks I guess...

There are no fish that can live in a 3 gallon tank without a heater. A betta could possibly manage the tank size but they need a temperature around 26 to 27 deg C/79 to 82 deg F.
But although they can be kept in a tank as small as 3 gallons does not mean it is good for them. Ideally they should be in a tank of at least 5 gallons. And in a rectangular tank not a bowl shaped tank.

Even shrimps need a temperature above 20 deg C/68 deg F. if the room gets colder than that during a winter night, even shrimps are not suitable.

You could get some baby brine shrimp, when i was a kid they were called sea monkeys and the pack came with a little plastic magnifying glass to watch them, that might be fun, though most people just use them as fish food so...
You could get one of those plastic wind up fish those are fun for a couple hours especially in the tub, but all that winding gets tiresome after a while.
Seriously though your down to shrimp and snails. Id suggest googling pics of 3 gallon planted tanks, they can be beautiful and fun to maintain and with a few shrimp and a snail can be very interesting.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back