Best Snails For Dwarf Puffers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

monkeytennis

Reaction score
Hi, I have been reading some things on the internet about trumpet snails being no good for dwarf puffers. Is this correct? Are trumpet snails what are called "pest snails", or am I confusing these with another type? If so what are your recommendations for types of snails to fed them on? thanks

In my experience most snails are fine for dp's. The dwarfs just usually suck out the snail and don't really bite down on the shell. trumpets aren't recommended for most puffers because they have extremely hard shells.

However, my dp just pulls the trumpets right out of the shell

In my experience most snails are fine for dp's. The dwarfs just usually suck out the snail and don't really bite down on the shell. trumpets aren't recommended for most puffers because they have extremely hard shells.

However, my dp just pulls the trumpets right out of the shell

my dp also just sucks the meat out of the inside, although i havnt tried him with any really small ones.. i gave him a trumpet the size of him the other day and he slaughtered it :)

pond snails are good, ramshorns are ok... what you could do is set up a breeder, a little plastic box would do, stick some gravel in there, and some cambomba, then buy the snail eggs and hatch them, that way you could feed him little ones often

Thats what i'm trying to set up and I am just trying to work out whats the best critters to do it with. Thanks for the advice!!

Can't wait till sat when I can go and order them into my lfs.

Gonna hyjack the thread heh...

Would dwarf puffers overfeed if they're put in to a snail infested tank?

Right now, I'm trying to put as many trumpet snails as possible in to a 10gal tank... and hoping I can get 2 or 3 dwarf puffers for it, but kinda iffy if they would eat themselves to death on all of the snails in the tank.

Gonna hyjack the thread heh...

Would dwarf puffers overfeed if they're put in to a snail infested tank?

Right now, I'm trying to put as many trumpet snails as possible in to a 10gal tank... and hoping I can get 2 or 3 dwarf puffers for it, but kinda iffy if they would eat themselves to death on all of the snails in the tank.

From experience, they don't eat themselves to death. However, they do over-indulge themselves when they see their favourite food like snails and live brine shrimps :lol:

MTS hide very well and DPs will only be able to eat very few of them anyway. When the MTS come out at night, DPs are very much asleep by then. All mine live with MTS and the snails are still prolifically breeding. With other non-burrowing snails, DPs might take bites out of the larger ones and killing them slowly.

Most reactions

trending

Back