Best sized Siphon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lily781

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 10 gallon column tank. It's 24" tall. Which siphon size should I purchase to clean the gravel?

Thank you,

Lisette

Thank you for the suggestion. Being that the tank is very tall is there a "small" long tube?

Thank you for the suggestion. Being that the tank is very tall is there a "small" long tube?
If the tank is as tall as you say it is, I would get the medium size. It has a decent sized tube and a good length to it. (Mine is the medium size, and is roughly 2-3 feet long)

Do you have any siphon currently?
I am afraid for a tall tank, the siphon won't be able to suck out water if it's too small.

Always get a bigger size of siphon unless you have shrimps/small fish in your tank or your tank is very small.
If your siphon is too small, it will take longer time to siphon out the water.

If you keep shrimps, you may want to have two sizes siphon.
One big siphon and one small siphon with flow rate adjustable to prevent the shrimps from being sucked into the siphon especially the shrimplets that are extremely small.

Recently, I bought a GEX gravel cleaner (siphon) for my shrimp tank.
It has a flow rate control but I find that it takes a long time to suck out the water from my tank.
So, I still prefer my bigger siphon.

My prefer siphon for faster changing of water.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DFFHHJ9/?tag=

Take note of the hose diameter.
The bigger the diameter of the hose, the faster is the suction/flow rate.

Some gravel cleaners with flow rate control for your info:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have any siphon currently?
I am afraid for a tall tank, the siphon won't be able to suck out water if it's too small.

Always get a bigger size of siphon unless you have shrimps/small fish in your tank or your tank is very small.
If your siphon is too small, it will take longer time to siphon out the water.

If you keep shrimps, you may want to have two sizes siphon.
One big siphon and one small siphon with flow rate adjustable to prevent the shrimps from being sucked into the siphon especially the shrimplets that are extremely small.

Recently, I bought a GEX gravel cleaner (siphon) for my shrimp tank.
It has a flow rate control but I find that it takes a long time to suck out the water from my tank.
So, I still prefer my bigger siphon.

My prefer siphon for faster changing of water.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DFFHHJ9/?tag=

Take note of the hose diameter.
The bigger the diameter of the hose, the faster is the suction/flow rate.

Some gravel cleaners with flow rate control for your info:

Isn't the flow or 'suction power' of a siphon for the most part determined by the size adapter/pipe. So you could get a small siphon with a large adapter and hose.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Isn't the flow or 'suction power' of a siphon for the most part determined by the size adapter/pipe. So you could get a small siphon with a large adapter and hose.

Yes, the diameter of plastic part where you touch the gravel will also affect the suction power.

But I think the output hose (to the bucket) is the one that will affect the suction speed the most.
When I have a big diameter hose, the siphoning was a very quick.

I hope I understand/interpret you correctly.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the recommendations! I ended up getting the python size = Small/tall and it was a perfect size, life changing. If now I could only figure out how to return the water . My tank is Too high to find use the siphon on the return.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back