Best sand for Apistogramma macmasteri

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

F

FF_Guest1439

Hi, I have a pair of Apistogramma Macmasteri cichlids and been researching what the best sand would be for them. I want black sand (Or as close to it) for my setup, as I want to get some volcanic rocks to build a large hiding spot for my fish. It also needs to be found in the UK too. There are two I've found Imagitarium Black Sand and Eco-Complete African Cichlid Sand but can not find them in the UK

I'm unsure if to go for the fine sand or sand that would be easier to vacuum but still needs to be safe for the cichlids

The Eco-Complete sand wouldn't be suitable even if you could find it as it says it
Adds calcium, magnesium and carbonate
which you don't want for south American cichlids - they need soft water not a substrate which makes water harder.

I have sand coloured sand but other members do have black sand so someone will be able to help.

black diamond blasting sand?i know its availible in us

Is that heavy sand? IE wouldn't be so easy to pick up with a gravel cleaner, but safe enough for cichlids? Would it alter the water parameters any?

ok, so it's 1 - 2mm on average and doesn't change the water parameters. But would that be easy to gravel clean or would I end up losing a lot of the sand due to sucking it up?

How would you do a water change & substrate clean - emptying the old water into a bucket, or with a hose down the drain/through a window into the garden?

If it's with buckets, there's not a problem. Simply wash the sand you suck up and put it back.
A hose is a bit trickier though!

hmmm, good point. Though I am next to a window and is easier to let it spill out the window :D

So I'm unsure what to go for. A fine black sand or one with larger rounded grains. what would look better with lava rocks like this

hmmm, good point. Though I am next to a window and is easier to let it spill out the window :D

So I'm unsure what to go for. A fine black sand or one with larger rounded grains. what would look better with lava rocks like this
omg, i have black lava with black sand, imo it looks fine, and natural, with white sand it is a little... strange
fine sometimes gets you itches and it is annoying, just use the "medium " size
My tank is a mess right now so...

What's considered medium grain size? I was thinking of getting upwards of 3mm

Most reactions

trending

Back