Best Plants (Live) For A Betta Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jeepers

Reaction score
What are some of the best live plants to have in a tank of bettas? I'm slowly getting my 55 gallon tank set up. As there are no stores near me that carry aquarium supplies I guess I'll be looking on eBay and elsewhere to buy some plants so I'd like to know what to look for. My tank is very lacking in decor at this point, but I will want it to look as natural as possible. Thank you!

What are some of the best live plants to have in a tank of bettas? I'm slowly getting my 55 gallon tank set up. As there are no stores near me that carry aquarium supplies I guess I'll be looking on eBay and elsewhere to buy some plants so I'd like to know what to look for. My tank is very lacking in decor at this point, but I will want it to look as natural as possible. Thank you!
Bettas don't care what type of plant is in their tank....the sky's the limit its your choice on what will look good. Try these... Java moss,Windelov fern, baby tears, Amazon sword, Corkscrew vallisneria and my favourite Anubias. There is so many varieties its hard to choose. If you like it plant it and your fish will thank you :good:

Your choices also depend on the lighting and substrate your tank will have, as well as how much time you're willing to put into plant maintenance. I'm not sure how familiar you are with planted tanks, but if this is your first one, you might want to see what folks in the planted tanks forum would advise for your setup if you haven't already.

My personal favorites are java fern, anubias, and cryptocoryne species. I've also had a lot of luck with water wisteria (specifically Hygrophila difformis). I'm a little lazy, and they're all low maintenance plants. I'm also a little bit cheap, so I love java fern and water wisteria because they're extremely easy to propogate at home.

The cryptocoryne can be problematic when you first try to establish them, because they don't like to have their roots disturbed. I've had more than one just up and die for no good reason right after I get it and plant it, and from what I've read/heard, even people who're great with aquatic plants sometimes have this problem, too.

Anubias can be a bit troublesome if you're not sure about the person you're purchasing them from, because if they've been kept with their stolon (some people call it a rhizome, though it technically isn't because it's not meant to be underground) covered in substrate, it will frequently rot, and the plant will die. I've had anubias that looked perfectly healthy do this, and when I opened up the stolon, found the entire inside was bastically melted and the supplier had been keeping the stolon burried like a root.

They like to rest in the tall leafy ones, or alteast mine does!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back