best options to quickly introduce/add beneficial bacteria to tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

if you already have a source of ammonia(rotting material, poop)
api quick start works for me, but listen to the masters

I had great luck with Tetra Safe Start Plus. I had spent several weeks doing a fishless cycle with ammonia. I added the correct dose of Tetra Safe Start Plus and within 3 or 4 days it would cycle 3-4ppm of ammonia down to 0. I was very pleased with that product.

I think the best or most advised option would be to add established filter media - if you have another cycled tank. Luckily once you have one good tank going you can take media from it and add to a new tank and know that the beneficial bacteria are already there and established.

I had good luck with Seachem stability.

I heard that turning up the heat and keeping your tank dark helps promote bacteria growth. And make sure you have some type of ammonia source for the bacteria to eat unless they will starve to death.

But like mrsjoannh13 said the best and the fastest option is to use established filter media from another tank that has already been cycled.

i added the api quick start and it almost immediately made my water cloudy. is this normal and expected? will this negatively impacts the tank inhabitants?

thanks

this is my first tank. i don't know anyone or have access to any established tank to get the media, and thus trying to find another method.

i have 4 small orandas
So are you planning to do a fish in cycle?

I personally have only did fishlesss cycles and I'm not fully sure about all the details about how to do a in fish cycle, So I we'll have to leave this for someone more experienced than me to answer.

goldfish are very messy fish, so please be sure that you are doing daily 50% water changes (as necessary based on your water test results).

As already mentioned, the best source of bacteria is substrate or filter media from an established tank.

The second best source is a reliable bacterial starter product, I would personally put my money on Tetra Safe Start Plus or Seachem Stability. The dosing directions are different on both products since the product is different. If I understand correctly, TSSP is a live bacterial product, which is why it works slightly faster but it is less shelf stable and prone to losing potency if exposed to temperatures outside room temperature. Seachem stability contains bacterial spores, which means that it takes a bit longer to work (the bacteria have to "wake up" and get out of spore form), but it has better shelf life. Other products that contain bacteria are API quick start as mentioned, and aquaeon Pure bacterial starter. Your fish store should carry some type of bacterial starter, and if not, I would order seachem stability online (just because I think it ships the best out of all of these products, though I believe @mrsjoannh13 ordered her TSSP online and it arrived just fine). Petsmart sells both stability and TSSP, as well as the other products listed if they happen to be out. When choosing a product, look for something that is described as "quick-starting the cycle" or "establishing the nitrogen cycle" instead of "contains beneficial bacteria that supports the cycle" or "contains bacteria that break down fish waste" there are products with similar descriptions (such as API stress zyme) that contain different bacteria that do not help the nitrogen cycle directly.

The third best source of bacteria is live plants. Live plants also have the added benefit of taking up ammonia (and to a lesser extent) nitrite and nitrate directly out of the water column, reducing the stress on your fish. Because you have orandas, I'm not sure how many plants woulda actually survive if they are as herbivorous as I think they are, but hornwort is generally a plant that most fish find unpalatable. It is usually easy to find in pet stores, except in areas where it is illegal due to it being a potentially invasive species. I got my hornwort from petsmart. Just wash it well, since it often comes with snails.

Finally, since you are doing a fish-in cycle, I would recommend investing in a product like Seachem Prime or equivalent. Prime I would describe as the industry leading water conditioner, since it not only dechlorinates, it also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite (without removing them) so it makes the water safer for your fish without altering your cycle.

I'm new to this site, and don't see a "Sticky" for fish-in cycling, here's one from another forum, hope it is OK to post:

Edit:
I have removed the link as it was for another forum, which is not permitted in the forum rules
Essjay

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishless cycle.

As mentioned above. Seachem Prime works well. I use it in my tank daily for my water changes.

Since you already have fish in the tank, I would just suggest, let it run several weeks as is, Don't add any fish. Add some starter product as mentioned above. I tend to generally like Seachem products in general. I also use their flourish line for my plants.

Condition the water. Cycle some 30-50% a day water in / out a day based on your water tests. make sure to condition the new water you put in.

Keep doing this until your water tests come out clean. I cycled my tank with some goldfish. You just have to keep a nice clean tank for a few weeks, and you should be all set.

Most reactions

Back