Best options for lowering pH?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hmm, looks like I'll have to wait until I can go to the city then. I can try to ask my landlord in the meantime but idk if he will get back to me.

Okay so I decided to go to the city today - got the tapwater tests done. GH is 20, KH is 150.

Are these numbers in ppm (= mg/l)? As opposed to degrees GH and KH?

Hmm that's a good question. All they gave me was a slip of paper that has the numbers, not the unit of measurement. The woman said my water was weird because 20GH was low and 150KH was quite high.

I may have to call them when they reopen tomorrow and ask what units they use.

Hmm that's a good question. All they gave me was a slip of paper that has the numbers, not the unit of measurement. The woman said my water was weird because 20GH was low and 150KH was quite high.

I may have to call them when they reopen tomorrow and ask what units they use.

Good idea. The KH is high, whichever, and there is the issue for pH. You will never lower the pH until the KH is significantly lowered. However, it is still the GH that most impacts fish, so once we have that we will know better if anything is advisable.

In that case you do have soft water that is fine for most soft or very soft water fish. I only say most because there may be fish that require an acid environment but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

pH ranges quoted for fish assume a standard relationship between GH and KH, your reading proves that that is not guaranteed but for most people the pH is indicative of hardness - GH is the number that actually matters. I would keep soft water fish and not worry about trying to change the pH. As @Byron says this is impossible without reducing your KH.

OK, now we have things sorted out. First, as @seangee said, you have soft water and that is where you should look for suitable fish. Many will not fuss over the pH, but there is another thing to mention.

GH is often termed permanent hardness because it cannot be reduced as KH (carbonate hardness) can by boiling. Boiling water will precipitate out the carbonates, lowering the KH, but the dissolved calcium and magnesium that are the GH remain (unless diluted with pure water, which is not necessary here). I am not suggesting you do this, but it is something to realize as you proceed here.

what sort of fish do you keep?
if you have livebearers, rainbowfish or goldfish, a pH of 8 is fine.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I appreciate it.

what sort of fish do you keep?
if you have livebearers, rainbowfish or goldfish, a pH of 8 is fine.

No fish in that tank yet - it's still cycling. All I have is MTS there cause they're impossible to kill anyways. I haven't fully decided what I want yet when it comes to fish. May make another thread do suggestions if I can't decide by the time it's cycled lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back