Best nano tank for a betta?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

msasa19

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all.
After giving up fish keeping a few years ago I've got the bug back!
I'm looking into getting a small tank for my study. No more than 20L to do a planted tank with shrimp and a betta.
I visited pets at home today and saw a interpet edge glow which was 18L. But unfortunately they had none and it's not on their website either. I liked this as the filter and heater ECT was hidden. I'm unsure where to search for something else as all others at pets at home weren't suitable, either too small or bad reviews!
Help would be much appreciated. Obviously having previously kept fish i am aware of the cycle process ect and have access to media from an established tank.

Thanks all

can you get something bigger, like a 40 litre tank? It would give you more room if you want something else or the Betta dies.

Most tanks sold as x litres, usually hold a bit less than that. The tanks hold x litres when they are completely full and have no gravel or ornaments in but when the water is down an inch and you have gravel, they usually contain less water than stated.

Would like to chime in that most standard Tank sizes in the US are based on the outside dimensions, which are obviously completely irrelevant to the fish, which can only use the inside dimensions.

Anyway, 5 to 6 times body length is considered to be the minimum size for relatively low activity fish like bettas, but that guide is for single fish tanks, it is likely you will need a bigger tank to accommodate any tankmates

How many gallons? What kind of beta? If you want a community with betas you need at least a 10 gallon. 20 gallon imo is way better. You could do ember tetras, chili rasboras, cardinal tetras, etc.

The quoted volume of 18 litres converts to 4.8 gallons. But that volume includes the thickness of the glass, the air space above the water and the filter compartment inside the back of the tank so the water volume will be quite a bit less than 4.8 gallons.

The quoted volume of 18 litres converts to 4.8 gallons. But that volume includes the thickness of the glass, the air space above the water and the filter compartment inside the back of the tank so the water volume will be quite a bit less than 4.8 gallons.
I would say then look into a 5 gallon...

Male Bettas are solitary fish and best kept that way,

Male Bettas are solitary fish and best kept that way,
Lots of people are putting low temptered male betas(1) in with peaceful community fish. Now they are doing two males which is stupid, but that is my opinion.

Can you please tell me where I can get one of these low temptered male betas?

Its not just about the temper, Active tank mates stress the Betta also.

Yes, Bettas are hard to find tankmates for.
In any case, most things small enough to go in a tank 20 liters or less, besides a betta are species that have been known to be eaten and/or killed by bettas more often than not.
Maybe one nerite, but only after you get some algae growth, nerites can be picky with store bought food
EDIT: a mystery snail has a bigger bioload, likely too much for such a small tank, which is why I didn't recommend one.

Can you please tell me where I can get one of these low temptered male betas?

Its not just about the temper, Active tank mates stress the Betta also.
You just have to find a beta that doesn't try to attack their inmates. A Female is easier to put in a community. I used to have a sorority but I wouldn't recommend that as they are A LOT of work, time, and energy.

Here's the facts on keeping tank mates with Bettas.

Some Bettas are OK with tank mates some are not and will kill everything including snails.

Some Bettas are OK with tank mates for a time and one day they just snap and go on a killing spree, I had a Betta that was fine with tank mates for about 6 months then the killing spree started in just under 24 hours he killed 5 Hengeli Rasboras.

Some Bettas become stressed and withdrawn with tank mates, the stress can suppress the immune system and they become sick.

It is the Betta that decides if he will tolerate's tank mates not the human.

Male Bettas are best kept on their own.

Female Bettas can be just as bad as male Bettas, Not all females can live in a sorority.

When attempting to keep tank mates with a Betta you need to have some place to move the tank mates or the Betta to at a moments notice, waiting even 1 hour could have disastrous results.

I would not suggest tank mates in anything under a 2 foot long heavily planted tank. tank

Anybody that tries to tell you different if full of it and has no idea about Betta keeping.

And just for the record this is a heavily planted tank.
CJDjCcn.jpg

I never said that any female can live together. Some females are really aggressive, so you can't pick those.

Ok so I've decided not to invest in a new tank and use a 28L I already have which i used years ago for a betta.
The problem I had then was my filter was too weak and the water movement was so little that the tank was becoming slimey.
I need advice on a suitable filter that isn't too strong for a betta but isn't going to give me the same problem. Pretty sure my last filter turned over 150l/hr. Advice appreciated

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back