Best Nano Tank 19-23L (Lighting, Filtration, Etc)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Electric Warrior

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, so basically I am looking at a nano for a dwarf puffer that I can densely plant, and has very good filtration.  A lot of the nano tanks on the market look like they are only capable of growing low light plants, even the newer ones with LED lighting.  I have been looking at the Fluval spec 19L, and the Edge 23L.  I quite look of the Spec, but I just wondered if anyone has experience with either of these tanks, or could recommend another tank of a similar size that would be good fro plant growth and a dwarf puffer?  

Dwarf Puffers are quite popular, my tank for one is currently cycling :D

I've heard good things about the AquaOne Nano range 30, 40 and 50. Could be worth having a look at those?

It's a bit bigger but I'm using an AquaOne AR-126 for mine.

I'll preface with the fact that I have a mated pair of DP in a 5g HEAVILY MODDED fluval chi.   

Eh, from my experience the spec and the edge both have only enough for low light plants, although the spec would  probably be more lit up.  All of the less expensive nano tanks are going to have low lighting, but most can also be easily upgraded.  On the spec you can VERY easily replace the light with an upgrade, the edge is a bit harder.  The Chi was godawful out the box, for filtration AND lighting, but the glass itself is really nice, I would compare it to expensive classy boxes they sell for hundreds to make into saltwater tanks.  I am surprised more people aren't converting them!

My suggestion rather than spending a bunch of money on a nice tank that comes with garbage filters and lights (as i did), would be to buy a tank only, and purchase the pieces individually so you end up with decent quality stuff, and at probably less cost!   I wish I would have just found a used Chi tank glass only, and just wen't from there!

ech0o said:
I'll preface with the fact that I have a mated pair of DP in a 5g HEAVILY MODDED fluval chi.   

Eh, from my experience the spec and the edge both have only enough for low light plants, although the spec would  probably be more lit up.  All of the less expensive nano tanks are going to have low lighting, but most can also be easily upgraded.  On the spec you can VERY easily replace the light with an upgrade, the edge is a bit harder.  The Chi was godawful out the box, for filtration AND lighting, but the glass itself is really nice, I would compare it to expensive classy boxes they sell for hundreds to make into saltwater tanks.  I am surprised more people aren't converting them!

My suggestion rather than spending a bunch of money on a nice tank that comes with garbage filters and lights (as i did), would be to buy a tank only, and purchase the pieces individually so you end up with decent quality stuff, and at probably less cost!   I wish I would have just found a used Chi tank glass only, and just wen't from there!

Hmm, I had thought about that...  I was worried about filtration because I understand that puffers, even dwarfs are pretty messy?  I was thinking about maybe hooking up an Eheim Aqua Compact for filtration?  http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/external-filters/aquacompact

im pretty much in the same boat and am currently looking at the spec and the edge, but for some killifish.
would be useful for more information about them

I have a aquanano 30, the filtration is fantastic and the lighting is perfect for growing plants. I don't know if 22l is big enough or not for dwarf puffers but other than that I highly recommend this tank.

+1 on the aqua nano - I loved the 30 so much I went out and bought the 40 :D

i should add i have a nano 40, and the filtration is awesome but i did change the lighting

Do we know that the OP is from the UK?  I was told those are a bit harder to come by in the states, not sure of the origin of the OP.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back