Best Nano Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DanielAnderson

Reaction score
Hi everyone
i currently have an empty 5 gallon tank and wanted to get a really beautiful, rare and special tropical fish to go in it but i haven't been able to find anythings that pleases me
i Would really appreciate it if anyone knew any cool nano fish that i could get

You could get some Scarlet Badis's. Many people have trouble finding them though but maybe thats what your looking for.

A group of Sparkling gouramis, they aren't rare but when you have a lovely group and they are the main focus, they look gorgeous! They do put a stopper on having small shrimp though as they eat them... then again... so do Badis....

I think a nice group of Sparkling Gouramis and some Pink Ramshorn Snails
biggrin.png
Or perhaps 2-3 Sparkling Gouramis and 5-8 Microrasbora and a couple of assassin snails OR pink/blue ramshorn snails.

I bought five sparklers back in January for my 54litre. I have lots of plant cover and now only have three survivors - these remaining three are always squabbling so I think the previous two lost out due to battles.

They are lovely fish and I do love their characters, I have a real friendly one who always follows my finger, however I think next time I would just make a sparkler tank with about 10-15 to take away the aggression.

Maybe I was unlucky and ended up with five males? Who knows?

Males are quite obvious with the sparkling gouramis, they are generally bigger, more colourful and more likely to be at front of the tank. They also have much larger dorsal fins. The females are smaller, shyer, little less colourful, shorter fins and have a fat little belly (between their pectoral fins) which seems to be a common trait in female gouramis in general.

Female:
http://fishkeeper.co.uk/assets/php/timthumb.php?src=/uploads/2012-08-01/screen-shot-2012-08-01-at-11-25-51.png&w=450&zc=1

Male:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Trichopsis-pumilus-1.jpg

Thanks MBOU, when I looked into getting them I put a post in the gourami section about differentiating sexes but was told it was tricky and to buy 10. My lfs only orders in five at a time so I purchased those (they were in a breeding trap with some moss) I imagine they must have all been males then.

I am going to buy some more plants this week and hope this eases the territorial behaviour. One has the filter as his, the other my bogwood, and the third has my large anubia.

what about those Indostomus Crocodilus anyone have any experience with them? they look quite cool

what about Scarlet Badis/ sparkling gourami/ indostomus crocodilus with dwarf frogs and some assasin snails

I would think in a tank of this size, the frogs should either be the sole inhabitants or not in there at all...

Yeah, in a tank that size 3-4 Scarlet Badis, 1 male. Just one. The rest females. Or sparkling gouramis. 2 or 3 of those.

Tek oot.

Seriouslyfish profile

That's the best I can do for you.  Sorry.

Incidentally, it's generally not a good idea to mix dwarf frogs and fish.  The frogs are very slow in finding the food and can actually starve with fish in there.

thanks anyway

slightly unrelated but i have another nano tank same size with some shrimp in. i have a golden bee, tiger shrimp, ninja shrimp , blue phantom shrimp, 3 red cherry shrimp and 2 amanos (i think). Got the amanos about a week ago and 2 of my cherrys are missing. guy at the store said they were fine together and it wouldn't cause any trouble but research suggests they are eating my shrimp + just seen them eating some of my snails. Should i separate them or are the cherry s hiding?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back