Best Fuse For Fish Tank Heaters?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

techen

Wolf Overlord
Reaction score
So I got some heaters off someone but only one had a plug with no fuse in it. Now I know heaters are quite power eaters so am curious as to what kinda fuse I need to use with them.

At the mo I rewired one with a 13amp fuse in it and it's working. It's a 150watt heater, Is this safe or should I lower the amp fuse?

Also what kinda fuse amps would suit a 100 and 300watt heater.

That's all I needed to hear then, I'll stuff a 3A in it instead of a 13A :p

I believe it is about 3amps for stuff in water, but I am no electrician.  I got a heater once without a fuse in the plug when I bought a second-hand tank.  I decided to chuck the heater as I thought if it hasn't been working there is likely to be a problem.  Sad thing is, fish came with the tank!  Hopefully this is not the case with yours.

The heater wouldn't work when I first opened it, He had wired it all wrong and so I rewired it, thrown a fuse in and it's now working. It looks brand new too, Lucky he didn't kill it with his bad wiring...

Phew...

I just know I had a power-head that kept blowing fuses so I put a 5amp in!  I was advised to return it to the 3amp and if it was blowing there was a reason!  Bit of a "muppet" thing to do really
huh.png
.  Since bought a new power-head
happy.png
to be on the safe side.  Water and electricity - hmmmm - I know we have to be careful.

Watts = volts x amps. If you're in the UK you're 240V, so a 13 amp fuse will allow up to 3120W, or 3.12kW. For 300-400W you're fine with even 2 amp fuses as the fuse needed is Watts divided by volts, so 400\240=1.66666.

Great to know - cheers DrRob

DrRob said:
Watts = volts x amps. If you're in the UK you're 240V, so a 13 amp fuse will allow up to 3120W, or 3.12kW. For 300-400W you're fine with even 2 amp fuses as the fuse needed is Watts divided by volts, so 400\240=1.66666.
 +1

So a standard UK 3W fuse should be used for anything upto 3x240volts (720Watts) in a UK standard 3-pin plug.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back