FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So it finally happen, my c-360 MarineLand canister filter quit after 10 years of use in a few different tanks. I now need a replacement for my 55 gallon tank. The obvious option is to order the updated version of that canister filter off of MarineLands website for ~$120 or something, but before I spend the money I was wondering if anyone had a better option. The tank is a standard 55 gallon with black sand substrate. I'd like to have it over filtered to keep the water as clean as possible and minimize bio-load. A filter that has a low flow rate or a flow rate that I can somehow change (via the filter or a quick DIY method) would be preferable. Any ideas, or should I just get the next best thing?

Fishmanic is right, maybe you can clean your canister's impeller and keep it working. But getting 10 years out of it, I would say you got your moneys worth.

I just ordered the Sunsun HW-3000 because one of the latches broke on my Polar Aurora canister filter. But this is my fault because I was using the latch like a handle to lift the filter when it was full of water.

The Sunsun HW-3000 has controllable motor speed via the settings on top. Plus it has a built in UV light that kills algae and other bad spores, at least that is what they say it should do. The UV light time on/off in hours per day is also programmable.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Maybe you could fix the filter. It might be just a clogged impeller.
I've taken it apart and put it back together 3 different times, I've cleaned the impeller and even bought/installed a replacement but still nothing. It will occasionally kick on but sputters out a few moments later and refuses to pump water. Unfortunately, I don't think it's salvageable. At least I can use some of it's filter media to kickstart the next cycle I'll inevitably have to do.

If I was you I would look at internal filters. They are easier to use and maintain than canister filters. Plus you than have everything contained in your tank. The small foot print they have in the tank is hardly noticeable.

I haven't used any of them. But I love Eheim filters and if you are on a budget Hailea. I always keep a spare Hailea one just in case but at about a fifth of the price of an Eheim it is a bargain. Remember the filter is only designed to move water. By the way in 10 years I have never had a Hailea filter just die on me, They can get a little noisy when they get old, and at that point I just throw a new one in.

+1 to Eheim, Ive used them for 25 years and find they have a great range whatever ( hob,internal,ext) you want.

Bulletproof and if you do ever need to call them up they seem to just send a replacement to keep the customer happy

+1 to Eheim, Ive used them for 25 years and find they have a great range whatever ( hob,internal,ext) you want.

Bulletproof and if you do ever need to call them up they seem to just send a replacement to keep the customer happy
Thanks guys! Looks like I should order an Eheim

My friend highly recommends Polar Aurora filter but I haven't tried this.
No do not get the Polar Aurora filter, I just had one for about six months, it will heat up your tank water and the latches on them break very easily. Instead spend a little bit more money and get the Sunsun HW-3000 basically the same type of filter but you can control the fan speed and the hours of the day that you wish to use the UV light, if you need it. Also much easier to prime. There is no big priming button that you have to push until your arm gives out to get it primed. All you have to do is remove the cap and plug on the exhaust hose, fill it with water, put back the plug and cap. Turn the filter own and let it spit out air until it catches. But with both filters, after you have them up and running tilt the filter a little to one side, pat it like burping a baby and this will get what air is left out of the filter.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back