Best filter current killing method I've found

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I previously used the bottle method in my 5 gallon hex tank. It worked like a charm and my betta fish loved to be twirled around in the tunnel that it created for him. My only problem with it was getting it to stay in place as the tank lid would shift it around, causing it to block only half of the current. Recently during a water change, I removed the plastic bottle piece and used a replacement filter sponge (the little black stuff?). I wedged it into the water spout (where the water comes out). I cut it small enough for it to not impede the bio-wheel but large enough so that it would block the water pouring into the tank so that it isn't so forceful. So far, so good - there is still enough water movement along the surface and my fish doesn't get tossed around. :good:

thats awesome, ive got livebearers and cory cats(mainly) in my tank, and i have a 20 gal with a 30-45 gal filter(was planning ahead and needed a big filter since i overfeed lol)

issue is, the current (when totally cleaned out) is very hard... shoots the bigger fish toward the class, but never hitting the glass... i never heard of current killing but now u have me worried.... should i get one of those covers? and if so where do u find them? i have 6 baby mollies that always swim through the current, so im not sure if its even an issue.

thanks again

Do people find ths is better, or the "sponge blacking the outflow" method "I have an eclipse 12 with the biowheel to.

ok i tried the current killer idea on my 20+gal community tank with my betta in it and wow! its awesome! but i only did one thing different. since i have a whisper filter with the waterfall i raised my filter a little higher so it would still oxygenate the water and its working like a charm! my guppies seem to love that theres no current and none of the plastic even touches the water! i just tucked one end of the plastic in between the carbon and sponge filter and no tape needed! thank you sooo much for the idea! Reign is sooo much happier now!

i have made three of these, my main trouble is the mystery snails which crawl into it and pull it down, i had to start taping my down.

thats weird...my snail never left the water. he would just go to the water line to get air and then back down he would go. but he is no longer with us anymore. R.I.P

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back