Best fertilizer tabs for cryptos?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was gifted a tiny little crypto which I put in my mom's stupid little 1.5 gallon tank with her betta until my second tank cycled. (I told her it wouldn't work. She wouldn't listen. Got the betta and tiny tank. Took six months before she admitted it wasn't working. I had to scramble to put together a brand new tank. In the end I wound up euthanizing the poor guy.) But for some reason I never emptied the 1.5 gallon. It was dark with tannins. I had put catapa leaves in with him in hopes the tannins would help. I went to finally empty it yesterday, maybe a month or more later, and realized it still had the crypto in it and it was alive. No light... and alive. After dumping the water I realized it had essentially split into three tiny plants from the original one tiny plant. I had some spare, unused gravel so rinsed it and put it in a clean 1.5, filled it with distilled (adding some minerals to it... just a tiny bit) and added a drop of liquid ammonia for food. I need to check the ammonia levels today. *note to self*

Reading on cryptos they usually need a tab to help with food. What's the best thing to get to help these little guys? I appreciate the help.

Cryptocorynes are great plants - as you've seen, they're not fussy and will survive in low light with little nutrients for a long time. They can even die right back to their roots (look up crypt melt, since it could happen to your little plantlets now they've been moved) with zero leaves left, and grow back.

Root tabs aren't essential, they'll grow in a tank that has fish in it without any added nutrients, they just grow better with a root tab added now and then since they're greedy root feeders given the chance. Don't buy dodgy cheap root tabs online though- I did that once and lived to regret it - but any name brand root tab will be absolutely fine. NT labs, Tetra, Seachem - a normal brand name root tab will give it what it needs.

Any reason you haven't just added to one of your own tanks?

Cryptocorynes are great plants - as you've seen, they're not fussy and will survive in low light with little nutrients for a long time. They can even die right back to their roots (look up crypt melt, since it could happen to your little plantlets now they've been moved) with zero leaves left, and grow back.

Root tabs aren't essential, they'll grow in a tank that has fish in it without any added nutrients, they just grow better with a root tab added now and then since they're greedy root feeders given the chance. Don't buy dodgy cheap root tabs online though- I did that once and lived to regret it - but any name brand root tab will be absolutely fine. NT labs, Tetra, Seachem - a normal brand name root tab will give it what it needs.

Any reason you haven't just added to one of your own tanks?
The one I'll likely put one in is cycling and I'd like it a little larger before I plant it. (I might also get a different crypto for myself. There was a different one I really really liked. This one was second choice). I really don't want planted plants in my five gallon. But there is a kid at my church who EVENTUALLY is going to set up a 10 gallon of his own and I'm definitely going to give him some. Since right now they have no fish to help and all I have is liquid ammonia, should I get tablets for this other tank? And also, I have to leave for a few days. Betta will be fine. I've done it before. But would it be better to have the light on 24/7 or no light at all for the plants? I have a timer on my two active tanks but not on this cheap thing.

I don't know whether your other tank needs root tabs or not, what other plants have you got in it? Most will be fine for two or three days without light, crypts for sure, and the fish would definitely prefer if you leave the light off while you're away.

Plants can go in a tank that's still cycling, they help in fact. Plants also don't like being moved around much, that doesn't happen in nature! so switching it around all the time isn't a good idea. Crypt melt is a thing that happens because plants dislike being uprooted and having to re-establish themselves, since it doesn't happen in nature. It puts them into a kind of plant version of shock.
Decide where you want it, stick it in the substrate, take some baby plants once it's grown on a bit to give to your friend. Or pot it up and have it growing in a pot that can be moved from tank to tank. A bare terracotta pot is fine for fish tanks, nothing glazed or painted.

Why don't you want plants in your five gallon? I'm just curious! Since I love planted tanks, I'm always for adding more, so find it hard to imagine not wanting any in a tank!

I don't know whether your other tank needs root tabs or not, what other plants have you got in it? Most will be fine for two or three days without light, crypts for sure, and the fish would definitely prefer if you leave the light off while you're away.

Plants can go in a tank that's still cycling, they help in fact. Plants also don't like being moved around much, that doesn't happen in nature! so switching it around all the time isn't a good idea. Crypt melt is a thing that happens because plants dislike being uprooted and having to re-establish themselves, since it doesn't happen in nature. It puts them into a kind of plant version of shock.
Decide where you want it, stick it in the substrate, take some baby plants once it's grown on a bit to give to your friend. Or pot it up and have it growing in a pot that can be moved from tank to tank. A bare terracotta pot is fine for fish tanks, nothing glazed or painted.

Why don't you want plants in your five gallon? I'm just curious! Since I love planted tanks, I'm always for adding more, so find it hard to imagine not wanting any in a tank!
I might get the pot. That could work well. I assume I can just use the gravel from the tank I have it in now? A pot is actually perfect as I don't want a creeping carpet that takes over the tank... just in one spot. Thanks!
I put the fish tanks' light on a 6 hour timer... Noah (my betta) has.. I don't remember the kind of plant now... but it floats. Not techncially a "floating plant" like the fairy moss and duckweed are. Just hangs out at the top and down maybe an inch. I want it to get a little light. It too, was a gift. But I keep it on low, and the light deflected away... not straight down on top. He also has a giant almond leaf floating on top to high under. I also heard for a cycling tank it's best to have a regular night/day cycle.
As for the 5 gallon... I have all blue/purple/teal silk plants in there to go with my living room. My betta is going blind. He's a dragon... knew nothing of them until I got him home. He had perfect vision in his right eye at the time but he's losing that, too. I am going to train him to use a food hoop and then get a more typical floating plant. I want A real plant to help with the chemistry... even though I suction up any uneaten food and feces on sight and do a monthly gallon water change. The highest the ammonia ever gets is .25 ppm but I'd like more plants to help a little bit more. Just not... planted!

Any chances of pics of the tank? :D
Glad the pot suggestion helped! I got that tip from @Colin_T ;)
It's a shame about the dragon, poor thing. They really shouldn't be bred, it's not fair to them. But you didn't know, not blaming you for buying one, they are appealing, and if you don't know about the scales that cover their eyes later, then you just think you're buying a nice fish.

Changing only one gallon of water a month isn't good... why so little so rarely? Especially in a small tank, regular maintenance and frequent water changes are essential - at least 50% weekly. Do you clean the substrate at the same time?

Having any ammonia in the tank isn't good if it's cycled... something is wrong there that needs sorting - have you tested your tap water directly? Sometimes there's a low level of ammonium in people's tap water that is still safe to use, since the test is picking up ammonium and not ammonia. But if the tap water reads as zero, and you're sometimes getting ammonia readings from the tank that only has a single betta in it and is kept clean, then something is wrong that needs to be resolved.

How do you clean the filter? Do you rinse the sponges under the tap?

Any chances of pics of the tank? :D
Glad the pot suggestion helped! I got that tip from @Colin_T ;)
It's a shame about the dragon, poor thing. They really shouldn't be bred, it's not fair to them. But you didn't know, not blaming you for buying one, they are appealing, and if you don't know about the scales that cover their eyes later, then you just think you're buying a nice fish.

Changing only one gallon of water a month isn't good... why so little so rarely? Especially in a small tank, regular maintenance and frequent water changes are essential - at least 50% weekly. Do you clean the substrate at the same time?

Having any ammonia in the tank isn't good if it's cycled... something is wrong there that needs sorting - have you tested your tap water directly? Sometimes there's a low level of ammonium in people's tap water that is still safe to use, since the test is picking up ammonium and not ammonia. But if the tap water reads as zero, and you're sometimes getting ammonia readings from the tank that only has a single betta in it and is kept clean, then something is wrong that needs to be resolved.

How do you clean the filter? Do you rinse the sponges under the tap?
Because all of the research and talking to people that I've done have said that about a 1/5th water change should be enough. I"ll do it twice a month, see if that helps. I do "wash" the gravel, yes. (Siphon) I have three different ones that I use differently... And as I said, while I'm not changing the water as frequently, I'm getting in there with a SERIOUS turkey baster after everything visible and root through the gravel to stir up anything that's not every day every other. I'll check the specs again tomorrow. I have a migraine now and am going to bed. I had hoped it would calm down but it's getting worse. I'll get another water change in the morning before I leave.

I haven't had the filter in there too terribly long.. just since getting it cycled which was... beginning of July. Noah was in another tank before that that wasn't terribly betta conducive. Tall not wide. I'm getting rid of it and bought a used 10 galon for the bedroom. I NEVER rinse the sponge with tap water, however! Never ever. I siphon out a portion of tank water without stiring up the gravel into a clean (used for nothing else so no soap) container and rinse it in there. I have quilting batting above that instead of the carbon the filter came with... it's not dirty yet... and then have bio balls (or whatever this particular kind is called) on top of the in a mesh bag.

As for pictures... I'll post one tomorrow. The bridge in the bottom (I've had it for ages and it's no longer rough and has been boiled before being put in the tank back in May when I finally found it again, badly burning my fingers in the process...( is symbolic for the bridge taken at Remagen, Germany in WWII. It was the last bridge across the Rhine into Eastern Germany. My grandfather was stuck on it all night the night it was taken. I've done a lot of research on it after visiting it once before 8th grade, doing a paper on it my junior year of high school and then going again in college and writing a paper with "proper" historical documents (history minor) and presenting on it at a public forum hosted by the school. I have a picture of the taking of the bridge on the wall... it needs to be moved ... it went up before that tank did. But it's pretty cool. The bridge has dark stones on either side of the expanse that is slightly... very slightly... reminiscent of the towers on either side of the real bridge. Anyway... time to make a cozy cocker spaniel get off my lap so I can go to bed. Thank you for your concern. I promise I will work harder on the tank. It WAS completely cycled so yeah, something's off. I'll check the water in the morning, as promised! :)

Give the cocker spaniel a hug from me, and a hello from my Springer/Collie who is sleeping next to me right now :)
Hope the migrane passes soon, and I love the history and family connections you've tied into your hobby. :)

Give the cocker spaniel a hug from me, and a hello from my Springer/Collie who is sleeping next to me right now :)
Hope the migrane passes soon, and I love the history and family connections you've tied into your hobby. :)
Aw your fur baby sounds gorgeous! Neat mix. What size pot should I get? Also, tank specs are perfect in 5 gallon again after last water change last week. I'll do another small one this morning though just to be sure it's good. And then I'll take a pic. Water level is already a bit low so I'll share when perfect!

I answered this in a PM :) I am a fan of Tropica ferts and have used them for over 20 years. My fav substrate fert is risky and definitely not for avid replanters and/or plant rotaters. They are the Jobe's Spike for Lush Ferns and Palms. They can be cut to any size one likes. If you accidentally uproot a Jobe's, you will earn your MBA (Mastered By Algae). I would suggest for most, another sunbstrate choice might be a better idea

Hi! Got the pictures for you! Do tell me what size pot I should get for the crypts... I'd appreciate it!
Tank resize.jpg
Poster resize.jpg

Hi! Got the pictures for you! Do tell me what size pot I should get for the crypts... I'd appreciate it!
Hi! Really like the tank, looks like you really love it and take care of it :)

I can't give you a measurement for a pot size I'm afraid! Depends on the size of the crypt, and I don't know pot measurements off hand ;) Look at the size of the crypt, then get a pot that's a little larger, so it has room to grow. They can get some serious root systems on them given the chance.

Hi! Really like the tank, looks like you really love it and take care of it :)

I can't give you a measurement for a pot size I'm afraid! Depends on the size of the crypt, and I don't know pot measurements off hand ;) Look at the size of the crypt, then get a pot that's a little larger, so it has room to grow. They can get some serious root systems on them given the chance.
Thanks! I checked the batting before leaving this morning. It was actually quite filthy. Replaced it. And did a gallon water change. I was late getting the last one done, which is why the levels went up slightly. I love my little guy so much and can't wait to get the new tank cycled. It will have a fish theme. And more colors. Slowly adding to it. Don't have to have everything immediately. Won't have friends in it for a while yet. Thanks for the help, and no worries about the pot. I'll figure it out!

I answered this in a PM :) I am a fan of Tropica ferts and have used them for over 20 years. My fav substrate fert is risky and definitely not for avid replanters and/or plant rotaters. They are the Jobe's Spike for Lush Ferns and Palms. They can be cut to any size one likes. If you accidentally uproot a Jobe's, you will earn your MBA (Mastered By Algae). I would suggest for most, another sunbstrate choice might be a better idea
I saw. Thanks for the help! Money IS an issue for me as I'm on disability. I'll look into those options. Appreciate it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back