Best External Filter...!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

andyjc01

Reaction score
I am looking to add an external filter to my 180L tank.
Already have a Juwel Bio 3 filter with 600Lphr pump.
Was thinking of either a Tetra Tec EX1200 or a Fluval 306.
Any thoughts...?

i think another filter on that tank would be far overkill,

is the current filter not doing the job?

if anything, i would go with an internal sponge filter, cheap and very effective

i think another filter on that tank would be far overkill,

is the current filter not doing the job?

if anything, i would go with an internal sponge filter, cheap and very effective

There really isn't any such thing as overkill when filtration is involved, flow, sometimes yes... but that can be over come by having a smaller output external.

To the OP's question though..... what most people do is remove the original juwel internal and just replace with an external which is sufficient.... the juwel stock internal filters really are quite rubbish in all honesty lol.

As to the best external, this will always be a long standing debate as many have there own preferences.... the fluval range has always been very good for me and ive never once had a problem apart from them clogging a little bit more often than others.

Tetratecs from my experience are quite unreliable, ive had a few and every one except the ex600 leaked.

Eheims are considered to be the best on the market...however, ive had these and have had leaks....so as you can see, all filters are prone to having 'potential' problems.

Have you considered the all pond solutions external?..... ive had a few of these now and i cant rate them high enough.... flow rate isn't the best but that is easily solved by getting the slightly more powerful ones (the 2000lph would be ideal for a 180l tank), they are cheap, pretty well made and have the option of an inbuilt UV, it's not essential but can come in handy.

Have seen the Allponds filters and always thought they looked good and were fairly well made, but because they were surprisingly cheaper than others on the market was maybe put off.
But as long as it works and is reliable I would consider this an option.
The Juwel filter I have seems to work well, may have a slightly slower output, but have read that this in fact aids the biological filter process in the box. I have had no problems with it so far.
Wanted to get external as well to aid filtration due to number of fish. Don't think I'm overstocked but extra filtration is not a bad idea...!

I use Eheim Ecco Pro's on my tank, and they have been quite good to me. They can hold lots of different media, and are simple to set up, prime, etc.

Have seen the Allponds filters and always thought they looked good and were fairly well made, but because they were surprisingly cheaper than others on the market was maybe put off.
But as long as it works and is reliable I would consider this an option.
The Juwel filter I have seems to work well, may have a slightly slower output, but have read that this in fact aids the biological filter process in the box. I have had no problems with it so far.
Wanted to get external as well to aid filtration due to number of fish. Don't think I'm overstocked but extra filtration is not a bad idea...!

Adding the extra media capacity is always a good idea mate, allows for a little more stocking also. The reason people remove the internal is the fact that it's ugly and takes up alot of space, space in which fish could be using.... there not the best filtration either... unlike an external which collects suspended debris, the juwel internal don't seem to do it half aswell.

As to the APS filters, definitely don't rule them out, they are very good for the money and from my experience, apart from the not so accurate flow description, they are extremely reliable and i would certainly recommended them wholeheartedly
smile.png

I use Eheim Ecco Pro's on my tank, and they have been quite good to me. They can hold lots of different media, and are simple to set up, prime, etc.

Ive used these, good filters... bad design, ive known a few people have problems with the priming handle and it being easily broke but i guess knowing this makes you a little less heavy handed..... for me they are just a tad expensive for what you get but overall, they aren't a bad filter at all
smile.png

if you are REPLACING the juwel, go with an aquaclear 70, reasonably priced, simple, very effective, and easy to maintain, a canister filter would be a waste on such a small tank, i wouldnt use a canister filter on anything smaller than 100 gallons, your juwel should be able to do the job, if your using the correct media, and taking care of it properly,

if you are REPLACING the juwel, go with an aquaclear 70, reasonably priced, simple, very effective, and easy to maintain, a canister filter would be a waste on such a small tank, i wouldnt use a canister filter on anything smaller than 100 gallons, your juwel should be able to do the job, if your using the correct media, and taking care of it properly,

???, i'm confused, an aquaclear filter is a hang on isn't it?, this would mean cutting the flaps to extreme and it being nowhere near powerful enough to filter a 180l (regardless of the factory recommended tank capacity), not to mention the limited amount of media that it can house.

I've got to agree with 'the bigger the better' sentiment especially if you have plants or intend on planting up.

I am looking to add an external filter to my 180L tank.
Already have a Juwel Bio 3 filter with 600Lphr pump.
Was thinking of either a Tetra Tec EX1200 or a Fluval 306.
Any thoughts...?
Honestly, I’d just remove the juwel item, and add two Tetra 1200’s.
Or one tetra 2400.
If i were going to keep the tank for a good deal of time, say 10 years.
I’d look at getting a couple of Eheim Pro or pro 2’s.
Sure you will be looking at SH items. But these filters have a proven reliability record.
They are known to have excellent bio and mechanical filtration.
Not only that but, you can buy parts for 20 years old filters, even now.
They are also, somewhat; more honest on the real flow they produce, too.
Though, I’d steer clear of the new Pro 3’s.
They do seem to have reliability problems ATM.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back