Best DIY filter on the planet... Whole House Filter...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OldTimer

Reaction score
Greetings all. Why didn't I try this before ?... okay, I have a Whole House Filter collecting sediment and purifying house water and so I bought one just for my simple 20g planted aquarium. The attraction for me is that the filter cartridge is 5 microns... can't get this kind of filtration with any thing else, I believe.
Furthermore, the 10 x 2 inch filter cartridge is easily bought at Lowes and for 13 or so dollars you get 2... super
easy to change out when it gets dirty.
The beauty part of it is that the filter canister is 20 dollars... plumbing it in is a few buckets more for fittings... the canister takes 2, 3/4 inch male threaded fittings, threads on one end and 1/2 inch hose connection on the other sold separately.
I don't have to tell ya that my once a little continuously cloudy water is pristine within the first 24 hours of running the filter. Inside the filter cartridge is a carbon ' tube' about a half inch thick and 10 inches long. The beauty part is realized in all this that it's inexpensive, easy to put to an aquarium of any size, filters are super powerful... even removes free swimming ich and I'll have to investigate how big in microns green water free moving algae is... I didnt have green water to start with. My filter sits on the floor beside the stand with the drive pump hidden behind a massive clump of aquarium plants.
I cant heap on the praises of such a DIY filter project... bye, bye filter socks.

I've seen a similar set up, run as a side filter on a marine sump. They'd set it up originally as they'd wanted a reactor and the micron filter was tempting. They also had the filter cartridges already from their RO unit and an empty cartridge wasn't too hard to come by.

Problem they found was that it clogged rapidly, and, as you'd expect, didn't really do much by way of biological filtering. Didn't matter too much on that tank as it was a live rock set up.

These Whole House Filters can also being linked in series like an RO/DI system is whereas a second WHF could act as a biological filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back