Best Diy Co2 Recipe

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

`Peter

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey everyone recently reinstalled my CO2 system after about a year. Tank has been cycled for over 2 months now with fish and my plants are all doing pretty well. I use Leaf Zone once a week for its trace iron and have Flourish tabs in the gravel. I use the Hagen ladder CO2 system with the canister and I figured I would make my own recipe after looking around for what others have done. This is what I did

1/2 teaspoon of baker's yeast
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 cups of sugar
Fill rest of canister with tank water (79-80F)

First in a separate cup I poured water, a pinch of sugar and then added my yeast. I mixed until I saw bubbling for about 5 minutes. I added sugar and the baking soda to the canister and then a little tank water and then poured all of the contents into the canister from the cup. I saw the first bubble after an hour and it's slowly increasing every 30 min or so.

Any suggestions or tips on the recipe? Anything any of you would change? Im looking for something that would last a good 7-10 days.

I use diy co2 and would not use tank water just tepid water from the tap will suffice, if your using the hagen cannister fill it up to the first mark with sugar, your doing the right thing by letting the yeast start to ferment but I would increase the amount to a good heaped teaspoon and also do away with the baking soda there is no need for it, one thing though I would definatly put in between a bouble counter or some sort of water trap so you dont get the yeast solution seeping into your tank, hope this helps.

I use diy co2 and would not use tank water just tepid water from the tap will suffice, if your using the hagen cannister fill it up to the first mark with sugar, your doing the right thing by letting the yeast start to ferment but I would increase the amount to a good heaped teaspoon and also do away with the baking soda there is no need for it, one thing though I would definatly put in between a bouble counter or some sort of water trap so you dont get the yeast solution seeping into your tank, hope this helps.

Thanks

I used the tank water since its not too hot and not too cold and after reading a couple other recipes it seems like others did the same. I used baking soda since it acts like a base so the pH does not decrease and cause unnecessary stress on the fish. I'm going to look for a bubble counter or valve of some sort this weekend as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back