Best cleanup

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, will open a new topic with different question.
I am looking for an effective cleanup for uneaten fish food in a 40 litres tank that houses my older betta fish. He doesnt see that good anymore, misses a lot of food, I have to up the feeding amount, which results in a lot of leftovers, overall not that great situation. That is why I change 10 litres every 6 days, to make sure it is not a problem.

I used to have a neritina snail but it died yesterday, after 3 months. Same as the other neritina snail, from the same breeder, in a different tank. Only thing these tank had in common was higher temp, but maybe it was something with the snails itself? no idea, I am not going to risk another neritina, overall after reading some articles about them, keeping them in a freshwater is not good for their health. Even though, in the other tank, I have had a neritina snail for 4 years, she is massive and doing fine.

What would you recommend to help cleanup in this tank? There are MTS and several small European physa snails in this tank already.
Thanks

I personally don’t have much use for snails as clean up crews. I’m sure others here have had
796FD1A9-5FDE-4BAD-93AD-CE3F2506C548.jpeg
better experiences.

I use a turkey baster or siphon to remove food & great big axotles poops. I recently enlarged the end of the $2 baster to pluck bigger axie poops.

I have one nerite with my female betta and some embers. The betta isn't the best at finding the food so I put it right in front of her when I feed them.

The nerite does a good job keeping the wood in the tank clean. But I still have to clean food waste and other material weekly.

Sorry, will open a new topic with different question.
I am looking for an effective cleanup for uneaten fish food in a 40 litres tank that houses my older betta fish. He doesnt see that good anymore, misses a lot of food, I have to up the feeding amount, which results in a lot of leftovers, overall not that great situation. That is why I change 10 litres every 6 days, to make sure it is not a problem.

I used to have a neritina snail but it died yesterday, after 3 months. Same as the other neritina snail, from the same breeder, in a different tank. Only thing these tank had in common was higher temp, but maybe it was something with the snails itself? no idea, I am not going to risk another neritina, overall after reading some articles about them, keeping them in a freshwater is not good for their health. Even though, in the other tank, I have had a neritina snail for 4 years, she is massive and doing fine.

What would you recommend to help cleanup in this tank? There are MTS and several small European physa snails in this tank already.
Thanks
In essence, YOU are the best 'clean up'.
Whilst I hear you about your Betta's apparent difficulties, 'a lot of left overs' does suggest a lot of over-feeding.
Changing the water as you do will help a little, but you should be sucking up the leftovers more regularly, to avoid toxins.

Consider foods that can be stuck to the glass.
Obviously, tablet foods can be used, but thinking a little out of the box, dried foods can be used.
You could also look to feeding him live foods, from one of those floating live-food feeders.

Nerites are fine in freshwater, so whoever told you that they aren't was misinformed. The only issue they have in fresh water is that whilst they can and will still lay eggs, these won't hatch and can be unsightly.
Note that your Betta will continue to feed after lights out and may have targeted the antennae/eye-stalks of the snail, which would not have been beneficial to said snail.

Whilst shrimp do make excellent scavengers, these would also be targeted by the Betta and could easily become expensive Betta food.

I usually suspect he cleans up a bit of the food after I stop feeding him. I feed with a drop thingie, directly in front of his face. But ofcourse something may fall down. I feed him little and every 3 days, he still has a nicely rounded belly. I switch between small pellets (they float), frozen food and dried insects.
was just thinking a snail or something might be nice, but I will not push it, will get some shrimp perhaps after he is not here. The tank is primed nicely with algae growth on stones and some long hair algae, but the plants are doing fine too. Will give the current snails time to balance it out and will keep an eye on the water changes.

About neritinas, I found this article
But as I said I have another one for 4 years. Could be trace amount of copper in fertilizers or nitrates or anything really. Just found it strange that both snails from same breeder die in the same week in different tanks. Must be one of those coincidences. The brackish water dependency explains why they die so often after adding to the tank though. Depends on proper acclimatization and if the snails handles the stress.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back