Best cichlid substrate for the money

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Grizleyguy

Reaction score
I found a 50lb bag of crushed oyster shell for chickens at tractor supply. It was around 17 dollars. I rinsed the hell out of it and put it as substrate in a 20g long. Works great and keeps my water paremeters perfect. So I put it as substrate in a 29gal. Works great in there to. Still got a quarter of the bag left

Hmm, makes me think about my African cichlid tank. Are you sure there is nothing added? And Im sorry but why chickens need oyster shells? Im a city guy but I have a tractor supply place about a mile away.

African Rift Lake cichlids can have shell on the bottom of their tanks but South American can't, so it depends on the species of fish involved.

I have used shells that were meant to bird cages and poultry too. It is fine as long as it's rinsed well because it has a heap of dust in it.

Chickens eat the shells to help grind up food in their gizzard, and to get some calcium for their eggs.

With freshwater fish you are best to use things that don't come from the ocean; therefore I use crushed limestone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back