Best Brands

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JonasN515

Reaction score
Hello. I'm going to begin to start a fishless cycle soon in a 20 gallon. What are the best brands to get when wanting tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels. I'm new to this but I'm sure everyone has their own preference! Just wanted to know before I start cycling so I can have them ready when needed. Thanks guys!

Seems almost everyone uses the API Master test kit. Probably only because it is available everywhere and has all the tests included in one convenient package. I don’t test much but that’s what I have. The instructions are well written and easy to understand. The only drawback is that it is expensive. It is fun to get the thing out and play mad doctor with the potions and test tubes though.

Seems almost everyone uses the API Master test kit. Probably only because it is available everywhere and has all the tests included in one convenient package. I don’t test much but that’s what I have. The instructions are well written and easy to understand. The only drawback is that it is expensive. It is fun to get the thing out and play mad doctor with the potions and test tubes though.
Jinx

In some parts of the country someone will say they jinxed meaning they cut one or released flatulence. Knocking on wood is reported , in legend , to have a nullifying effect on farts in the same way that garlic wards off vampires. You can prove this to yourself by farting on a wooden chair. The instant contact with the wood kills the smell.

Am I immature for trying this?
In some parts of the country someone will say they jinxed meaning they cut one or released flatulence. Knocking on wood is reported , in legend , to have a nullifying effect on farts in the same way that garlic wards off vampires. You can prove this to yourself by farting on a wooden chair. The instant contact with the wood kills the smell

If you are in the hobby to stay, the API Master is the way to go….You get all 4 basic tests, and enough to go for quite a while. Like $35-40 dollars. Nice to use, you should be testing anyway, why buy separate tests. Get the Master so yo have everything, comes in a nice container to hold all the things needed to test also. Very easy… Some of the tests take a little while to wait to “read” after shaking, I time it by drinking a beer!
-Ed-

For cycling, what is the best brand (bottle) to go with for bacteria? Should I do the fish food method? I got some with the 20 gallon tank I got? Advice please!

The two bottled bacteria products that are known to contain the correct nitrite eaters are Dr Tim's One & Only and Tetra Safe Start.

For fishless cycling, ammonia is better than fish food as you know exactly how much ammonia you have added. Fish food has to rot down to make ammonia and you cannot know exactly how much ammonia it has made.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back