Best affordable soil?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Abzdot

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™m constructing a planted tank with some fishes however Iā€™m a bit stuck on which soil I should use, I saw tropica soil for Ā£37 for 7kg which is too expensive seeing as Iā€™d need around 15-20kg. I want to use it because Iā€™ve heard that the soil reabsorbs nutrients from the water so you donā€™t need to replace it for a very long time. Also do I need anything else like a concentrate?Thanks.

I tend to view plant soils as a waste of money and not really beneficial. And, some of them can cause real issues especially for fish. But I have not tried all of them. However, if fish are your primary concern (as opposed to an aquatic garden of plants with no fish) an inert substrate is safer and easier. There is less to go wrong.

I use play sand in my tanks. Plants grow very well in it, all fish are fine with sand, it looks natural, and it is very inexpensive. I use a comprehensive liquid fertilizer once a week (if you have floating plants or plants not rooted in the substrate, this is necessary with or without an enriched substrate), and substrate tabs for the larger plants like swords.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back