Bent spine?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CozyCat

Fish Fanatic
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello!

I have been keeping guppies since May 2021 and my first batch of fry are now juveniles/semi-adults. I remember when they were no bigger than a grain of rice!🤩

Anyway, I have noticed a couple fish have an interesting body shape. They are wonky and not the smooth torpedo shape like the others, it's most exaggerated when you look from above (photo below).

The interesting thing is I've only noticed it in the females, the males of the same batch are torpedo shaped. My latest batch from the same mother have grown enough for me to pick out males from females, but I can't see any other wonky spines.

I'm wondering if this is ok for the fish? The wonky fish swim fine and have a healthy appetite. I probably won't let them breed, there's space in another tank where they could live. But is it ethical to allow them to go on?

Seems like a crazy deep question but I would appreciate your thoughts on what to do with these fish 😊

VideoCapture_20220211-230258.jpg

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220211-230258.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220211-230258.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 59
Hello!

I have been keeping guppies since May 2021 and my first batch of fry are now juveniles/semi-adults. I remember when they were no bigger than a grain of rice!🤩

Anyway, I have noticed a couple fish have an interesting body shape. They are wonky and not the smooth torpedo shape like the others, it's most exaggerated when you look from above (photo below).

The interesting thing is I've only noticed it in the females, the males of the same batch are torpedo shaped. My latest batch from the same mother have grown enough for me to pick out males from females, but I can't see any other wonky spines.

I'm wondering if this is ok for the fish? The wonky fish swim fine and have a healthy appetite. I probably won't let them breed, there's space in another tank where they could live. But is it ethical to allow them to go on?

Seems like a crazy deep question but I would appreciate your thoughts on what to do with these fish 😊

View attachment 154378
Oh no! Gives me guppy nightmares of a mass extinction that occurred TWICE in my tank.

The bent spine the way it looks like in this photo, won't hurt the fish. Neither does it bother them. But I wouldn't go on breeding them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back