benefits of skimmers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fuzzy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i have a 30 gal with 2 millinium 2000 filters and ive been told that i should look into getting a skimmer. what r the benefits of it? can it help keep my levels correct? about what size r they? 30 gal doesnt have very much room on it for equipment. what is the basic maintanence of it? also plz give me any helpful info on the besides of what ive asked
thnx for any help

Cheers,
LIONFISH

A 30G is pretty small. You could get a berlin hang-on type, or a seaclone or something like that. They remove waste from the water column, which helps keep the water stable. And they are not nitrate factories like wet-drys and cannisters.

On medium systems they are generally run in sumps. On large systems they are generally run externally.

Basically they are waste removers. They "skim" off the disolved waste the fish produce before it gets converted to nitites/nitrates. This means that your nitrate levels build up less quickly.

I have 20gal tank that doesn't have a skimmer. I have a wet/dry trickle filter with a carbon pad and a cannister filter (and >1 lb live rock per gallon). I rinse my canister filter (nitrate factory) every other day and change my media as recommened by the manufacturers. I used to be paranoid and 20% water change twice a week but I now do it once a week. My nitrite and ammonia levels have never been above 0 and my nitrate never above 5 (though it is usually 1).

I think for a small tank; as long as you are vigilant with your water changes; sumpless is fine. Your nitrate levels will tell you if you are struggling... If your levels rise too quickly then get a skimmer. Or get one just to be on the safe side...

Only diff with a sump and more water volume is say if you have a fish die and not notice. The greater the water volume the less the impact on your params.

Also it could be handy, I mean we all like to go away on holidays every so often :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back