Beneficial bacteria

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I'm taking into assumption that your tank was not properly cycled... if you feel the beneficial bacteria is in the water. You beneficial bacteria (90 percent or more) resides in your filter as water passes through it, this is why you should never change the filter media (sponge or floss) just rinse it in tank water, outside of the tank. Your water is cloudy because simply put, it's not clean, it needs to be changed and taking water from an infected tank to put into another...
As far as ick, it is one of the easiest diseases to treat and all you basically need to treat it along with many other diseases, is to keep up your maintenance, frequent water changes and no overfeeding and not to be hard on you, but these are very simple steps that will keep your fish healthy.
I didnā€™t end up using water from the other tank, I bought a thing to put in the water with beneficial bacteria, the water is already not as cloudy by the morning. I think I just stirred up the rocks a bit

Dechlor usually smells.

The only way to get 90% of the bacteria in an aquarium in a filter is to put nothing into the tank but water and fish. if you put in almost anything else tsome bacteria will make a home on it in the shade.

The bacteria will colonize in the greatest numbers where they can get the most of what they need- ammonia/nitrite oxygen, inorganic carbon. a bit of iron and some trace elements. They love living in the substrate. Unless it is planted, the bacteria are in about the top 1/2 inch as oxygen levels below that get too low as does circulation.

The bacteria which cause the bloom (cloudiness) are not the same ones that detoxify ammonia and nitrite. The ones in the water can double very rapidly unlike the other two.

I would suggest following Colin_T's advice.

Cloudy water can be caused by uneaten food rotting on the substrate. This is common in newly set up tanks. If it doesn't clear after 24 hours, do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate.

Depending on the smell, it could be rotting fish food or the filter bacteria. however, the amount of filter bacteria is tiny compared to the water volume in the aquarium, so it's unlikely to be that. But you can smell the bottle of bacteria and see if the tank smells the same.

If you are concerned about the water, do a 50-75% water change.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
It started smelling before I fed them because I usually donā€™t feed my fish when moving them to a new tank, I saw somewhere that the cloudiness and slight smell can be caused from the good bacteria not being fully established yet. I can only really notice a smell when I walk up close to the tank and especially when I open the lid. I will smell the bacteria I put in, but I only bought just enough so I donā€™t have that much left.

Dechlor usually smells.

The only way to get 90% of the bacteria in an aquarium in a filter is to put nothing into the tank but water and fish. if you put in almost anything else tsome bacteria will make a home on it in the shade.

The bacteria will colonize in the greatest numbers where they can get the most of what they need- ammonia/nitrite oxygen, inorganic carbon. a bit of iron and some trace elements. They love living in the substrate. Unless it is planted, the bacteria are in about the top 1/2 inch as oxygen levels below that get too low as does circulation.

The bacteria which cause the bloom (cloudiness) are not the same ones that detoxify ammonia and nitrite. The ones in the water can double very rapidly unlike the other two.

I would suggest following Colin_T's advice.
The water is starting to get a greenish tint, would a water change and cleaning the filter help, I am saying about cleaning the filter because the water went dark after the substrate and I had to clean it a lot so maybe the stuff from the substrate could be getting in again

The water is starting to get a greenish tint, would a water change and cleaning the filter help, I am saying about cleaning the filter because the water went dark after the substrate and I had to clean it a lot so maybe the stuff from the substrate could be getting in again
It started smelling before I fed them because I usually donā€™t feed my fish when moving them to a new tank, I saw somewhere that the cloudiness and slight smell can be caused from the good bacteria not being fully established yet. I can only really notice a smell when I walk up close to the tank and especially when I open the lid. I will smell the bacteria I put in, but I only bought just enough so I donā€™t have that much left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 30
Add more live plants (fast growing types not Anubias), or decrease the light to control green algae problems.

Yes a large water change and good gravel vac will help. If the filter media is clogged give it a good rinse in old tank water.

Ammonia. test in the morning ans the evening for a few days. Feed sparingly until you know the tank is safe in that respect.
These are the test results, I did ammonia and ph just because I wanted to check it.

Attachments

• EFBD233F-130E-4B54-92E0-00EABF4F66FC.jpeg
    EFBD233F-130E-4B54-92E0-00EABF4F66FC.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 29
  • 957D57AA-C9E9-4713-BBA6-1091752E0D78.jpeg
    957D57AA-C9E9-4713-BBA6-1091752E0D78.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 30
Ammonia looks fine, but I think you need to test using the High Range Ph kit. Once we see the color at either end of the spectrum on the color card (unless it is 0), we need to test with a different kit. We need to use one that measures in either a higher or lower range depending which extreme the current test measured at. In your case that means the high range pH kit.

When kits are not available to do this, the only option is to alter the sample with pure water or change the volume of it being tested. Also we can change the drops used as long as this is not just one.

Ammonia looks fine, but I think you need to test using the High Range Ph kit. Once we see the color at either end of the spectrum on the color card (unless it is 0), we need to test with a different kit. We need to use one that measures in either a higher or lower range depending which extreme the current test measured at. In your case that means the high range pH kit.

When kits are not available to do this, the only option is to alter the sample with pure water or change the volume of it being tested. Also we can change the drops used as long as this is not just one.
If you are referring to how many drops, it had me use 3 for the ph test, idk if it is the lighting in the picture but in person it looks almost the same

I just completely redid my 40 gal tank after most of my fish died from ich. I took water from that tank and put it into my old 10 gal for now, but it started to turn slightly green. My stepdad who keeps fish said I should put that water back in because it had beneficial bacteria that the fish need to survive. I am worried that it will spread and turn my whole tank green, because I have had a bad experience with algae.
Beneficial bacteria doesnā€™t live in the water column, so there isnā€™t any in the water. It builds in the substrate, on the filter media, and even on the plants/decor. Because you had ich in your tank which is super contagious, I would just completely restart the tank, replace all of the water and filter media and start the cycling process over again. Sorry to hear about your fish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back