Belize platy...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Recently I was able to get my hands on some other wild platy species. It's a Xiphophorus maculatus variety, called Purpur platy from Kat's Lagoon from Belize. Mind that all Maculatus platies found in the wild, despite of the different phenotypes, are one and the same species. They're just other color morphs of the same strain.
These show a hump on their backs as an adult. From time to time, you're also able to see such a hump in fancy strains. They're pale red till a bit of orange with a dot on the caudal penducle. And they have clear fins.
I love to collect the wild varieties of platies (no matter which strain) and swordtails.
IMG_3334.JPGIMG_3333.JPG

Recently I was able to get my hands on some other wild platy species. It's a Xiphophorus maculatus variety, called Purpur platy from Kat's Lagoon from Belize. Mind that all Maculatus platies found in the wild, despite of the different phenotypes, are one and the same species. They're just other color morphs of the same strain.
These show a hump on their backs as an adult. From time to time, you're also able to see such a hump in fancy strains. They're pale red till a bit of orange with a dot on the caudal penducle. And they have clear fins.
I love to collect the wild varieties of platies (no matter which strain) and swordtails.
View attachment 147089View attachment 147090
Nice, congrats!

cool, they are very chubby and short
do you breed these wild fish?
Yes, this variety is a bit ferm by itself. They just look short because of this hump.
I've recently purchased them. But yes, it's my intention to breed these. Just like my other wild livebearer species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back