Beginners tank readings questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Blueskynoise

Reaction score
Hey guys. Iā€™m exactly one week into my first fishless cycle before we get a few guppies. I just checked the levels and Iā€™m getting

NH 0.1
NO 2.0
PH 7.5

Iā€™m concerned about the nitrate particularly. As per what the store told me Iā€™ve used the conditioner once when I first added the water and the bio boost for the first three days. Are these levels normal for a new tank or should I do a water change?

Attachments

• 66D6A39A-A5E0-4582-9D85-84D4D66CE0E6.jpeg
    66D6A39A-A5E0-4582-9D85-84D4D66CE0E6.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 62
Hey guys. Iā€™m exactly one week into my first fishless cycle before we get a few guppies. I just checked the levels and Iā€™m getting

NH 0.1
NO 2.0
PH 7.5

Iā€™m concerned about the nitrate particularly. As per what the store told me Iā€™ve used the conditioner once when I first added the water and the bio boost for the first three days. Are these levels normal for a new tank or should I do a water change?
No, the cycle is beginning and soon it will be cycled hopefully. Nitrate will break the nitrite down soon as part of the process. When nitrate begins to appear and ammonia and nitrite are at 0 then you can add the guppies.

I actually didn't. Just the conditioner and bio boost. Would you recommend starting over or is there something I can do at this stage to amend it? Reading up it looks like I can use fish food rather than ammonia? That would be easier rather than trying to get hold of ammonia.

Ammonia is better than fish food because you know exactly how much ammonia you are adding. With fish food, it had to break down and you have no way of knowing how much ammonia is made, therefore no way of knowing if there are enough bacteria to support a sensibly stocked tank of fish.
I found Jeyes Kleen Off Household Ammonia in my local independent DIY shop; if you have one near you, see what they stock. Failing that, try Ebay or Amazon. The Jeyes ammonia is 9.5% - it doesn't say on the bottle so I emailed them to ask. You need the % to work out how much to use, see Calculator in the Useful Links in the side menu.

Some brands of bottled bacteria do contain a small amount of ammonia, and looking at your results it's possible the one you used does. But probably not enough to grow enough bacteria. The bacteria will only multiply till there are enough of them to deal the the ammonia present in the water. Their numbers are controlled by their available food.
You don't have to start again. If the bottled bacteria does work, it'll make the cycle much shorter. But not do it instantly. Adding ammonia will make sure that when you do get fish, there are enough bacteria to remove all the ammonia they make, and the nitrite made from that ammonia.
And once the cycle is complete, you can add most of the fish on your wish list straight away.

I've just had a quick look at water parameters in Leighton Buzzard. it seems you have very hard water, which is great for guppies and other hard water fish. The centre of Leighton Buzzard has hardness 333 ppm or 18.9 dH. You can check your exact figure by entering your postcode here http://waterquality.anglianwater.com/map.aspx But this does mean that you won't be able to keep soft water fish such as tetras without altering your tap water.

NH3 NH4 is ammonia/ ammonium
NO2 is nitrite
NO3 is nitrate.

Are you talking about nitrite or nitrate?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back