Beginners Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

As I said before, my space for a tank is 25 in long by 16 in wideā€¦ Has anyone ever heard of a long tank that long? (Not being sarcastic, asking truly, had anyone heard of one? I cant find any...Will keep searching though :) )
I only want salt And pepper corries in their group and some nerites +plants. :)
Thanks to all!
Good luck with your tank! Was going to recommend guppies (small, pretty, fairly easy maintenance, big personality, easy to find) but they do need hard water and corries sound like a good plan. :)

The length of the tank will have to be limited to 24 inches (60 cm) to fit into a 25-inch space, keep in mind the stand needs to extend beyond the tank frame to support it. This length of tank, with a width of 12 inches (30 cm) applies to a standard 15g and standard (high) 20g. Of these two, the 20g gives you more volume so that is a plus--water quality is somewhat easier in greater volume tanks.

If you have a soft sand substrate, a group of say 8 to 10 cories will work. I would however recommend some upper level fish, which could be a group of very small fish (tetras, rasboras) as these will make the cories more settled. There are species in the "nano" size, like Ember Tetras, one of the dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras, or similar.
Ok! Thanks! The area I am planning on putting the tank is 36 inches, and 11 of those belong to my brothers ant farm. Will continue the search :). I will also look at upper water fish.
Good luck with your tank! Was going to recommend guppies (small, pretty, fairly easy maintenance, big personality, easy to find) but they do need hard water and corries sound like a good plan. :)
Thank you! :) :) :)

Thanks to all!

Ok.. So I really wanna finalize my tank but canā€™t seem to decide/ find a good tank... I have been looking for ā€starter kitsā€ but would it be Ok to just get a tank and a heater? Because doing that seems to cut the cost by a lot.
Would this tank be ok? I really wanted a starter kit but I guess if I just get this and a heater it would be betterā€¦ What do you guys recommend? Going the extra mile for a starter kit of getting a nice tank + filter?
Length: 25 in
Height: 17.25 in
Width: 13.25 in

Thanks to all!!! :) :) :) :):thanks:
edit- just realized I forgot to mention I changed the tank.Still Ok? I could change it back.

Last edited:
Ok.. So I really wanna finalize my tank but canā€™t seem to decide/ find a good tank... I have been looking for ā€starter kitsā€ but would it be Ok to just get a tank and a heater? Because doing that seems to cut the cost by a lot.
Would this tank be ok? I really wanted a starter kit but I guess if I just get this and a heater it would be betterā€¦ What do you guys recommend? Going the extra mile for a starter kit of getting a nice tank + filter?
Length: 25 in
Height: 17.25 in
Width: 13.25 in

Thanks to all!!! :) :) :) :):thanks:
edit- just realized I forgot to mention I changed the tank.Still Ok? I could change it back.
Get a tank, heater, filter(duh), and extra filter media. When you actually get the tank, what I would do is plan an aquascaping. There are many videos on youtube on it, but my favourite are by MD Fish tanks. Great channel check him out. He has aquascaping tutorials(pretty much him rescaping his tanks). He isn't the greatest for learning how to start up a tank as he does do fish-in cycling(with plants and daily water changes and testing ofc), but his aquaecapes are nice and generally on the budget side.

Last edited:
For planning just go to the store, pick out some wood and rocks, and kinda mess around with them at the store until you find a configuration you like. Then, I would pick out some good plants and substrate. For a beginner, I would go with any form of nutritious substrate, you can try dirt/compost if you want, but if you don't have prior experience you might overdo the dirt and cause constant algae blooms. I personally would choose a substrate, put it in bags(he does that), and put it at the bottom. Then, kinda put gravel on top of it(that's how he does it you can do whatever), and then put in your hardscape and add the plants.

Beginner plants I would recommend are:
Anubias
Java fern
Any moss really(eg. Java moss, christmas moss, flame moss...)
Ludwigias(some might argue otherwise but it worked well for me)
Anacharis

Other plants:
Crypts
dwarf hairgrass
riccia
carpeting plants
idk anymore
bacopa
Bucephelandra(supposed to be difficult and really expensive)

Get a tank, heater, filter(duh), and extra filter media. When you actually get the tank, what I would do is plan an aquascaping. There are many videos on youtube on it, but my favourite are by MD Fish tanks. Great channel check him out. He has aquascaping tutorials(pretty much him rescaping his tanks). He isn't the greatest for learning how to start up a tank as he does do fish-in cycling(with plants and daily water changes and testing ofc), but his aquaecapes are nice and generally on the budget side.
For planning just go to the store, pick out some wood and rocks, and kinda mess around with them at the store until you find a configuration you like. Then, I would pick out some good plants and substrate. For a beginner, I would go with any form of nutritious substrate, you can try dirt/compost if you want, but if you don't have prior experience you might overdo the dirt and cause constant algae blooms. I personally would choose a substrate, put it in bags(he does that), and put it at the bottom. Then, kinda put gravel on top of it(that's how he does it you can do whatever), and then put in your hardscape and add the plants.

Beginner plants I would recommend are:
Anubias
Java fern
Any moss really(eg. Java moss, christmas moss, flame moss...)
Ludwigias(some might argue otherwise but it worked well for me)
Anacharis

Other plants:
Crypts
dwarf hairgrass
riccia
carpeting plants
idk anymore
bacopa
Bucephelandra(supposed to be difficult and really expensive)
Ok thanks! :) :) :)

I need suggestions for filter & heaterā€¦.Thanks :) :) :):thanks::thanks::thanks:

The heater is the single most important piece of equipment. Lights can fail, filters can fail, and fish will manage. But a malfunctioning heater can cook or freeze the entire tank of fish overnight. I have had it happen with cheap heaters. The higher wattages tend to be more reliable. For a 20g you could get a 150w or even a 200w heater. Eheim Jager are good, other members will have other names to suggest from their experiences.

Filter does not need to be much here, as you intend plants and small fish that do not like strong currents. A sponge filter connected to an air pump is one option. Another is the small internal filters that are nothing more than a sponge filter with a small motor, avoiding the pump and airline tubing.

The heater is the single most important piece of equipment. Lights can fail, filters can fail, and fish will manage. But a malfunctioning heater can cook or freeze the entire tank of fish overnight. I have had it happen with cheap heaters. The higher wattages tend to be more reliable. For a 20g you could get a 150w or even a 200w heater. Eheim Jager are good, other members will have other names to suggest from their experiences.

Filter does not need to be much here, as you intend plants and small fish that do not like strong currents. A sponge filter connected to an air pump is one option. Another is the small internal filters that are nothing more than a sponge filter with a small motor, avoiding the pump and airline tubing.
Thanks! Any specific brands for heater?

Could salt and pepper corys be happy in a 10 gal? My 20 gallon tank my fall through... Will they still be ok? Its as long as the old tank just less volumeā€¦I will con the search though. Thanks!
:) :) :)

Could salt and pepper corys be happy in a 10 gal? My 20 gallon tank my fall through... Will they still be ok? Its as long as the old tank just less volumeā€¦I will con the search though. Thanks!
:) :) :)

I wouldn't. The pygmy cories, dwarf cories or habrosus cories (these three species are all small in size) would be much better if you are dealing with a 10g, provided you have sand. And assuming the water is soft/very soft as seemed to be the case earlier in this thread. The issue of the "softener" wasn't resolved though...if this uses salt, don't use the water in a soft water species fish tank.

I wouldn't. The pygmy cories, dwarf cories or habrosus cories (these three species are all small in size) would be much better if you are dealing with a 10g, provided you have sand. And assuming the water is soft/very soft as seemed to be the case earlier in this thread. The issue of the "softener" wasn't resolved though...if this uses salt, don't use the water in a soft water species fish tank.
Ok! Thanks!
I'm confused though...habrosus cories are Ok or not Ok? If Ok does anyone know how many I could fit in 10 G planted w/ sand? Thanks!! :) :) :)

Ok! Thanks!
I'm confused though...habrosus cories are Ok or not Ok? If Ok does anyone know how many I could fit in 10 G planted w/ sand? Thanks!! :) :) :)

The "dwarf" species are Corydoras pygmaeus, C. hastatus and C. habrosus. A group of any one of these species with at least 12, up to 20 would be fine in a 10g, though with C. habrosus I would say no more than 15, they are a tad larger. But the main thing is, you must have a good-sized group as these fish are very social and will be stressed with insufficient numbers.

The "dwarf" species are Corydoras pygmaeus, C. hastatus and C. habrosus. A group of any one of these species with at least 12, up to 20 would be fine in a 10g, though with C. habrosus I would say no more than 15, they are a tad larger. But the main thing is, you must have a good-sized group as these fish are very social and will be stressed with insufficient numbers.
Ok! Thank You! Do these smaller species require middle-tank fish to be happy?

I have decided to go with a kit that includes a heater and a filter (10g). I will most likely buy it/ fish on Friday. Any plants that are a definite no-no? I know duckweed is not good but is there anything else? Because I would like to have everything mostly planned out before I go.

Thank you so much to everyone!!!! :) :) :) :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Do these smaller species require middle-tank fish to be happy?

Yes, I have found that cories, the dwarf and the larger species, do tend to be less skittish if there are upper water fish swimming around. I had my group of pygmy cories in their own 10g tank (they spawned so I left them on their own and several fry survived which would not have been the case with other fish ready to eat the eggs) and i rarely saw them. I decided to move the group of growing fry into the 29g with small upper fish (Ember Tetras, Green neons, etc) and the cories are out and about all the time now, swimming with the upper fish even.

Re the plant question, it depends upon your light. Easy plants like sword plants, including the chain swords, tend to do well without fuss. Floating plants are always beneficial, and Water Sprite, Frogbit or Water Lettuce are good. Avoid the red leaf plants as they tend to need more light. Once you have success with things you can consider experimenting.

You should hold off on fish until the tank is set up and running, and the plants are growing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back