Beginner scaping help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Like this? Between the width and height of the tank it can't really be moved any differently.

98BS3gWiFD02xrcubAac0gDQrvSatFHsLfzaL2A_Zn31XaVgygFUR4NKQyVTahZ1qRPVLwvLqbQ3a_i0_ArZhWgg8tYD6aJ5HUtB7FCmWZFwvjUDQiY6K7O5SBYrgQuvO8fpMxe_fuWMeL_Afuwrkfjxn7CGT4jUKIXXPcFPaLsAGvhs7MEel7rPdcw9fwe_51r6WLOEyk06bMcbI9YWNgTUlLuCq_QddhR5yJi0IpnOsT8VNA_txIK4ciaJkZk-46L3YAikqG3dwE7mmbq-UfiYYUoRF8kp2rYRClEE9IqvVcVzdMKoeWQQFZAeo8lB-akwXMlqVD_OfMzzeMSv1iNPVbVAQA6AX8W2jnePUYkyQqYMonAwVOYVOJuaxtjn8Rc0AfSzorABiXkqsZ95hIoyF4ndYdU9X6M4Pc13r2en-ldcUzk29nBKIKIL95xWHHNLm44iM03B4aDttzzcA3QXCu-KzUHWFadw1nXv7L6jmxYd4bZHI4gaGTmnmxiHOWTdoIVW1_gKI6899-hYBJAdAdJWKFsVwI7BQ2RTsxAffKgVFxExsgg5nEbe_mrU3YBDyjjr7uDAfpGOLyQPakQI0gbJw37b8IsmQa9dmIc3JZpqQ_eTdFpqXRPU217AlUA6sKpQl2uwRrw3F-z0YCuk1gq_SJd8qGsWYv7Wm34PwONNs9m5KJuKoT_u3bgjPR1CAiFGjEoim332q3fO7j7e_bhSumPiugVEaexg7u7OonJWkoNAbuWWphSygeIXUqBMyO7cWLQxngozifLhQSRvAGWXCAi2=w1250-h937-no

No, turn it more so the thick "bulb" os c;pser top the back.

Yes...that isn't what I had in my mind, but I do think this is good. Move it to the left so the end is in the front left corner of the tank against the glass corner. Once you have that, you can play with the up/down by lowering the end to the substrate--a few rocks around this would look natural and hold it in place. You could similarly try raising the "bulb" with a few rocks...might or might not work, but worth a try. Several times I have used a branch-type piece of wood to appear to be "growing" out of a corner, and it is very effective as it gives the visual impression that the space continues "outside" the tank. The black background is also very effective at doing this.

Yes...that isn't what I had in my mind, but I do think this is good. Move it to the left so the end is in the front left corner of the tank against the glass corner. Once you have that, you can play with the up/down by lowering the end to the substrate--a few rocks around this would look natural and hold it in place. You could similarly try raising the "bulb" with a few rocks...might or might not work, but worth a try. Several times I have used a branch-type piece of wood to appear to be "growing" out of a corner, and it is very effective as it gives the visual impression that the space continues "outside" the tank. The black background is also very effective at doing this.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean then.
As far as liking this, I do think it looks pretty nice. I'm going to add the other pieces of wood and play with them and the rocks. I'll be back!

SOqUK4xkfagP-3yJSUv6XOxYaK93BlWlqV12Z9TchCwGwUEr-NUxyi3CzmIPgemCez68sVtKAjaWj9pygS2G8SIylG0cfxCkCQQmwpcX22MK9vtB69H5x4LyEoT5fQ5zDz92SpBSgEdgzvdzfOZXq-jJnMI2IICETK0N_kO2hdKr9wLUiJpxa0sRsdxRhu4Le7MmBzSWlTacB0OOiWnALxH0ByW41ZvPFIrOHLkXgJfyFIByQCHpqB_fyZuz5kKEhKosCOoduGYVJHiSoKHh_31h8P9WmDbTZ_8HwGIWYJWe2uMNKyPS15C0eEBCZCGxbgoyUkZCpvoKUSEyjQsXGrG2xvtK-Mu6HOthcfJSpP7hIcF795VY2xDXx2VWw-3C_aK2S9efxWwiBhhQRFA-f0IbZoCsv705EWxceKD_5BmTvvR384DcWSkooTRo1luN1Hbmkm7ZELiVlTj9j6T9B67ldL1bZoxoadTFwjB-EdnxFbuOswKPqQMXFyzuDMZm3eycOhZHCIJhbtg7IH8CljLwIZDwlOetclQXdvDaXGKg_-OF_wTyijkWHXyg3BS5856DhUUhrnk1I3I4rwjmhzyhxU4wXo34TGbmRR8UMdac1VKk7XOfs1tP4fcifPmxyOeGDuVEu1SsxtL9EF4E9V5VdTJ6o9D4JEiibKXu5PsdAqKlkRObQ6Hc463MTA-j52eGL5lQ4d_RKm7U3iZ8ZQ_CqtQfftZCsq_Qb4BKrurW8rkO-XEfyJDNWHdnFOCK-kxo_0OrftQU2x2_VxoGtCcbTuFcjmGd=w1250-h937-no

I think you have it! The only thing I would do is angle the right piece of wood to where the back of is is just turned slightly to the right wall and then push down a few of the rocks so their not all uncovered.
But I do think that looks nice! @Byron might see a few more things to do, but otherwise I think you should just relax

I think you have it! The only thing I would do is angle the right piece of wood to where the back of is is just turned slightly to the right wall and then push down a few of the rocks so their not all uncovered.
But I do think that looks nice! @Byron might see a few more things to do, but otherwise I think you should just relax
Thanks! Relaxing is not in my nature lol

@Byron @Rocky998 also meant to ask, what source(s) do you trust most for information on fish species? For instance, @Byron you mention I should have at least 15 Corys, whereas I see at least 6 recommended everywhere else.

@Byron @Rocky998 also meant to ask, what source(s) do you trust most for information on fish species? For instance, @Byron you mention I should have at least 15 Corys, whereas I see at least 6 recommended everywhere else.
I like looking at "seriously fish" online as do other here.
And yes 6 is a  MINIMUM not an optimal amount.
While 6 would work, in your tank size 15 would be a good amount.
Remember, in the wild they live in huge shoals, not small groups

I like looking at "seriously fish" online as do other here.
And yes 6 is a  MINIMUM not an optimal amount.
While 6 would work, in your tank size 15 would be a good amount.
Remember, in the wild they live in huge shoals, not small groups
Cool, I have referenced them a bunch :)

One must consider the tank space and other species (as species more than just as "fish" because the species may affect another species) when considering any fish. There are some generalities however. For example, with Corydoras the more the better for the fish. They live in shoals of hundreds, so you need space to provide a reasonable number to avoid stress. If the tank will not adequately house 12-15 of a species, then that is not suitable.

As for sources:
Seriously Fish
Planet Catfish
CorydorasWorld
LoachesOnline

There are video collections by some very knowledgeable individuals that are excellent sources for habitat information:
Oliver Lucannus (Below Water)
Ivan Mikolji (Venezuelan habitat and fish videos)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back