Beginner Planted Tank Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ers81239

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thanks for making such an informative resource available. I was just in the the big box pet store watching a family buy a tank, hood, stand, fake plants, fish, and fish food all at once. CRINGE!

I have been trying to do things patiently and smartly, although some things have gotten the better of me. For one is my lighting situation, here is what I already own, can you give me some suggestions on what the best/most economical move from here is?

I have a 40 gallon 'long' tank. Currently I have 5 platy's, 5 java ferns, and 5 hornworts. The ferns are only 3 inches tall, and the hornworts are more like 12 inches tall. They have all just been planted in a 50/50 mix of flourite and eco complete, about 3 inches deep. Sounds okay so far? The problem is the lighting. I bought 'stock' hoods thinking they would at least be upgradeable, but they are marked as rated to 19watts (this is 2 24" hoods). They have 16w bulbs in them, which look only about 18 inches long. I already own a utility 48in flourescent fixture, with reflector from when I used to grow land-plants. They will accept 2 40watt 48in bulbs, but I would have to rig up a mounting system. I also happen to already own a 20# CO2 tank and low pressure regulator which I could use to add CO2.

Where do you guys think I should go from here? Do you think the plants can survive at all in their current conditions?

Also, my wife says I should ask how often to water the plants :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back