Beginner Plant Recommendations (Terrestrial)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Whilst watering the plants outside, I found an old saucepan stand (photo down below*) that's been left in the shed for a couple years. I think it'd be perfect for a few plants, so does anyone have any recommendations? It has five tiers, all of which are 6.5" high.

I'd like to keep it in my bedroom, which is currently at 24c (window shut) on an 18c day. My room can reach over 30c in the dead of summer, so plants that are typically kept in a greenhouse would probably be best.

As far as terrestrial plants go, I'm a total beginner. I'm interested in flowering plants, fruit & veg, succulents and lithops. Of course, however, I'm very open to trying new things!

Right now I have three (small) succulents that I'd like to possibly put on any of the top three tiers.

Any recommendations would be nice!

1622204502967.png

Orchids are a good beginner plant, parlour palms and christmas/Easter cactus

Orchids are awesome and there's so many to choose from. Phalaenopsis is the easiest to care for and as with most orchid types the flowers last for weeks

I can keep a spider plant and a heart leaf philodendron alive but not much else (unless they are in a tank and like to be swimming in water)?

All the above mentioned plants are great.
Peace lily are good oxygenators and easy to divide to make new plants.
1622229649237.png

Not in your specifications but I also think you might like snake plant. They are forgiving if you forget to water or have low light.
1622229797140.png

Images courtesy of diy.com

Don't forget you can't have tall plants on any tier except the top one. Trailing plants or plants that bush out sideways would be best.

I have three Easter cacti with different coloured flowers, they are the right shape for the lower tiers, as are Christmas cacti. You could put your three succulents together in a pot plant saucer or even an old plate on one of the tiers. And a tall plant on the top tier - one of the plants the other members have suggested.

View attachment 137496
Not in your specifications but I also think you might like snake plant. They are forgiving if you forget to water or have low light.
View attachment 137497
Snake plant..? My mum used to have a huge one of those and it was always referred to as ‘mother-in laws tongue’ because it was sharp and pointed ?

I have one and I call it a mother-in-law's tongue as well :)

Snake plant..? My mum used to have a huge one of those and it was always referred to as ‘mother-in laws tongue’ because it was sharp and pointed ?
Same plant, different common name. People of PG's generation will know it as Snake plant, perhaps because they are more pc than us? ?

View attachment 137496
View attachment 137497
Ooh I really like these! The peace lily looks really nice actually!
Don't forget you can't have tall plants on any tier except the top one. Trailing plants or plants that bush out sideways would be best.

I have three Easter cacti with different coloured flowers, they are the right shape for the lower tiers, as are Christmas cacti. You could put your three succulents together in a pot plant saucer or even an old plate on one of the tiers. And a tall plant on the top tier - one of the plants the other members have suggested.
I've done exactly that in reference to the succulents. Three little potted ones on an old plate, with my little porcelain pig ornament next to them. The arrangement is subject to change, as are all things around me.
The jar at the top is just my shrimp molts, if you were wondering.
1622231761004.png

I was thinking that a climbing/"falling" plant like ivy would look quite nice at the top, but I'm not sure just yet.

Essjay is right about trailing plants.
The fashionable string of pearls is a lovely trailing succulent
1622232331184.png

And don't forget pothos! You could grow cuttings out of your aquariums.
1622232605701.png

pintrest.com

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back