Beginner Owner Of Semi Aggressive Community In 30 Galllon Tank.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

chriryan85

Reaction score
high my name is ryan im from peterborough ontario  canada .  i bought a 30 gallon tropical fresh water aquarium and  too start i have one fake plant bautful blue gravol  and it sits on top of my dresser in my room.  the community is a semi aggressive community fish tank.  i got 2 rainbow sharks  1 angel fish 1 moonlight orgami  and a pleq algae eater. my question is how big do they get how often should i scrub the tank  replace water etc and do i have too stick with semi aggressive or can i put a community fish as long as its not too small etc.  and this is how i introduce the fish into my tank  i put the fish in my tank in the bag leave them there for 30 minutes then i fill a big bowl with half my water in the tank  and half the stores water from the bag then i transfer them one at a time into the bowl then grab my net and  take them out of the bowl into my tank using the hand net one at a time.  i found it good because then i dont get the stores water in my tank and i just dump the bowl down the sink good method i find it the best. i can prob only fit 3 more  anymore will make it hard too clean or im lazy lol.  anyway its long at 30 gallans not a box tank. i think ive done everything well so far i just need to get a log so the rainbow sharks can hide somwhere other then behind my filter lol. any advice corrections info 30 gallon tank rule of thumbs would be greatley appreciated im a beginner thankyou.

Big blocks of text like your first post are not forum friendly, try and break info down into easy to read paragraphs. ;)

What are the dimensions of this 30g tank?

There are issues with your stocking...
Shark-minnows (including Rainbow) should be kept in 120cm long or greater tanks, with tankmates that can cope with territorial aggression, especially on the tank floor. 2 is a really bad number, these fish turn on each other and anything similar shaped as they mature.

Angelfish need at least 45cm of water depth (excluding sand/gravel) to grow properly. Adults are huge top to bottom!

Your plec needs identifying ASAP, there are hundreds of species and some of the common ones in the hobby exceed 45cm, needing a 6-foot tank minimum. Others produce a massive amount of waste from their veggie diet, needing at leat a 125l tank with excellent filtration and near daily vacuuming of waste from the tank floor to keep the water quality ok/good.
If you really don't know what you have, get photos of your fish, not ones pulled from the internet and post an ID thread.

Have you cycled your tank?
If not, have a read of the Beginners Resource Centre in my sig.

N0body Of The Goat said:
Big blocks of text like your first post are not forum friendly, try and break info down into easy to read paragraphs. ;)

What are the dimensions of this 30g tank?

There are issues with your stocking...
Shark-minnows (including Rainbow) should be kept in 120cm long or greater tanks, with tankmates that can cope with territorial aggression, especially on the tank floor. 2 is a really bad number, these fish turn on each other and anything similar shaped as they mature.

Angelfish need at least 45cm of water depth (excluding sand/gravel) to grow properly. Adults are huge top to bottom!

Your plec needs identifying ASAP, there are hundreds of species and some of the common ones in the hobby exceed 45cm, needing a 6-foot tank minimum. Others produce a massive amount of waste from their veggie diet, needing at leat a 125l tank with excellent filtration and near daily vacuuming of waste from the tank floor to keep the water quality ok/good.
If you really don't know what you have, get photos of your fish, not ones pulled from the internet and post an ID thread.
+4

all i can do is do my best.  i dont have a vac or anything  but i will do my best by taking in water samples etc. i will eventually get a vac but for now weekly changes will do.  i set up the tank and put declorenator  and let it sit 24 hours then bought the fish.

the guy at the pet store assured me as an owner of many tanks the plec was semi aggresive but wont out grow the tank for a while and assured me the angel will do fine.

chriryan85 said:
all i can do is do my best.  i dont have a vac or anything  but i will do my best by taking in water samples etc. i will eventually get a vac but for now weekly changes will do.  i set up the tank and put declorenator  and let it sit 24 hours then bought the fish.
Dude, did you not have a read of the link that blondie posted?? How long have you had the tank setup? Plecos and rainbowsharks aren't suitable for your aquarium. Don't listen to fish store people, when in doubt, come to this forum, theres lots of reliable info. You have to do water changes of about 10 gallons everyday if you want your fish to live....the reason why you have to do this is because your tank is not cycled. Again, please have a read through the beginners resource center. Just curious, are you either very young or is English a second language?

Please, don't listen to people at the stores, unless you know that they are trustable. Most people are in it for the profit, not the welfare of the fish. 
If you have any questions, please ask here, not at your LFS (since they have already proven that they're not trustable), you can then at least know that we genuinly care about the welfare of the fish, we're not in it for the profit.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back