Beef Heart. For fish that love worms...this is near the real thing.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
For decades I've fed my fish beefheart blended with some gelatin and then the congealed mix,microwaved at feeding for 30 seconds or less. After it is frozen,I then cook it slightly i should explain.
Wattleys Discus are fed a blend of beefheart to give you an idea of its health. I have noticed too that fish that love tubifex or even earthworms?..love beefheart. Loaches,Discus,Angels..fight over it just about. Panda's hoover over it,Clown Loaches wrestle over it. One fish not in the worm eating habit,Rainbows? go for it even if it does take time for them to learn the taste..and when they do they are sharks for it.
There ya go.

I have fed Ox heart to fish for many years. All I did was freeze it raw then scrape it across a cheese grater frozen. The fish love it.

Be careful cause some fish (Corydoras fi) aren't able to digest the proteins in beefheart properly and get healthissues after some time.
A kind of bubbles appear on the fish later.

Do you get your beef heart free from the butcher at the grocery store or do they actually package and sell these still (years and years ago I saw a lot of unique beef parts being sold for human consumption but later generations didn't seem to care for the thought of it. My departed husband however, loved beef liver and onions - I refused to make it (I regret I was so mean) due to the smell.

Do you get your beef heart free from the butcher at the grocery store or do they actually package and sell these still (years and years ago I saw a lot of unique beef parts being sold for human consumption but later generations didn't seem to care for the thought of it. My departed husband however, loved beef liver and onions - I refused to make it (I regret I was so mean) due to the smell.
I get it from the supermarket

I would be more careful, there are a lot of fish species that cant properly digest mammal meat, and even worse so, the beef heart has a lot of fats, some of which are dangerous to fish and can cause long term health issues, I read a paper on it some time ago, if I can find it I will link it.

I would be more careful, there are a lot of fish species that cant properly digest mammal meat, and even worse so, the beef heart has a lot of fats, some of which are dangerous to fish and can cause long term health issues, I read a paper on it some time ago, if I can find it I will link it.
That sounds exactly like what animal fat does to humans. It is dangerous for our long term well being.

That sounds exactly like what animal fat does to humans. It is dangerous for our long term well being.
it truly is, but while humans and fish like piranha or channel catfish are better at digesting fat (even tho it is still bad for us) some of the most common aquarium fish like bettas, tetras and guppies really suffer worse effects faster from constant consumption of said fats.

Beefheart has a good record with fish. I cited Wattleys Discus fish farm as one devotee of the food. They also add vitamins. Plus- you trim off all the fat off the beefheart before you put it in the blender. SO many recipes for various fish people specialize in. Right? for more vegetarian fish some use peas blended with the heart if you have Pleco's. I also feed my fish various other foods too. Shrimp,dried Krill, Tetra flakes,Watleys shrimp pellets..and then cooked veggies on occasion. Cooked and cleaned shrimp and beefheart are the staple.
One thing sort of out there? Beefheart is rich in iron and I swear my plants are not as needy for iron as they were pre my going back to beefheart. No proof or data..just what seem like the fish waste being more absorbed. To a point,I still make water changes every 7-10 days or so.

One caveat with beef heart? A steady diet of it will create a unique smell to the aquarium water. One drawback. If you have a very large filter or add carbon it might not be noticable. But with most set ups with many aquariums or large fish in one giant tank,the odor sort of builds up from one water change to the other.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back